Aquarium plant rotting?

Paigefav

Hello! I planted these 2 grasses in my tank and one seems to be growing roots and looks healthy but the other one dosent seem to have roots and had black on the bottom. Is this plant rotting? Would that be the reason the ammonia is so high in my tank?

Attachments

• 16349542152353562076865632357502.jpg
    16349542152353562076865632357502.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 20

86 ssinit

No neither is the reason for high ammonia. How long has the tank been running? The substrate is the wrong type for those types of plants.
Are there fish in this tank?

Paigefav

No neither is the reason for high ammonia. How long has the tank been running? The substrate is the wrong type for those types of plants.
Are there fish in this tank?
It has been running for a few weeks and when I brought my water to be tested they said it was okay to add fish so yes I have fish, should I take out the plant with the black?

86 ssinit

Your tank isn’t cycled. So you need to change water daily. How big is your tank? What type of fish do you have? What type of lighting do you have? Those plants need good lighting that will reach the bottom of the tank. Buy an api test kit!

Paigefav

I have been testing the water almost everyday and doing a water change every other day! I have a 16 gallon tank and I have glofish danios and glofish tetras, I have a light that goes on the top like a hood and it has a whiter light and then a blue light. I should change the water everyday?
Your tank isn’t cycled. So you need to change water daily. How big is your tank? What type of fish do you have? What type of lighting do you have? Those plants need good lighting that will reach the bottom of the tank. Buy an api test kit!
I have been testing the water almost everyday and doing a water change every other day! I have a 16 gallon tank and I have glofish danios and glofish tetras, I have a light that goes on the top like a hood and it has a whiter light and then a blue light. I should change the water everyday?

86 ssinit

I’d return those plants. Take a pic of your light so I can see what it is.
As to changing the water daily. You now have fish in the tank and no cycle. Do you know what I mean by a cycle? So your ammonia is building up with no place to go. It is very bad for fish so needs to be removed. That’s why you need to change water. Are you using prime water conditioner?

Paigefav

I’d return those plants. Take a pic of your light so I can see what it is.
As to changing the water daily. You now have fish in the tank and no cycle. Do you know what I mean by a cycle? So your ammonia is building up with no place to go. It is very bad for fish so needs to be removed. That’s why you need to change water. Are you using prime water conditioner?
Yes I know what you mean by cycle. Should I take out the one plant that seems to be growing okay? And yes I have prime water conditioner. What percentage of water should I be taking out? And when will the ammonia stop being high?

Attachments

• 16350025703144390708131925088875.jpg
    16350025703144390708131925088875.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 10

86 ssinit

Ok the light is just a basic light. Those pictured plants are called carpeting plants. They need lots light and ferts and co2. So they are a bit above what your ready for :). As to the other plant I’d need a pic to see what it is.
I’d change out 8g a day and test the ammonia daily if it’s showing ammonia you need to change the water. Ammonia is the result of fish waste. It builds up in your tank without bacteria to eat it. What type of filter are you using? The bacteria grows in your filter. First bacteria that grows is ones that eat ammonia. That bacteria releases nitrite which is also bad for the tank. Bacteria will now start growing in your filter to eat the nitrite. So you should also be checking for nitrite to see if your bacteria is growing. Next the nitrite bacteria releases nitrate. That’s the last step in a cycle. So you also check for nitrate to make sure everything is growing correctly.

Paigefav

Ok the light is just a basic light. Those pictured plants are called carpeting plants. They need lots light and ferts and co2. So they are a bit above what your ready for :). As to the other plant I’d need a pic to see what it is.
I’d change out 8g a day and test the ammonia daily if it’s showing ammonia you need to change the water. Ammonia is the result of fish waste. It builds up in your tank without bacteria to eat it. What type of filter are you using? The bacteria grows in your filter. First bacteria that grows is ones that eat ammonia. That bacteria releases nitrite which is also bad for the tank. Bacteria will now start growing in your filter to eat the nitrite. So you should also be checking for nitrite to see if your bacteria is growing. Next the nitrite bacteria releases nitrate. That’s the last step in a cycle. So you also check for nitrate to make sure everything is growing correctly.
I just tested the water and that's what's it's showing. I have been doing small water changes like 20 percent everyday or every other day. When I change the water should I vacuum the gravel too to get the extra food and waste out of the tank? And I should take 50 percent of the water out everyday? And I have a sponge filter

Attachments

• 16350075555886374198583349673837.jpg
    16350075555886374198583349673837.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 9

86 ssinit

Ok that’s showing your cycle has started but your ammonia is to high for fish so a 50% water change is do. Also your nitrite is rising. Proving the first part of the cycle is working. Being there’s no nitrate your cycle is still taking time. Because of the nitrite that water change is due. @ sponge filter is probably not enough for the tank. Look into a marineland 30 hob. I hav3 this on my 15g shrimp tank.

Paigefav

Ok that’s showing your cycle has started but your ammonia is to high for fish so a 50% water change is do. Also your nitrite is rising. Proving the first part of the cycle is working. Being there’s no nitrate your cycle is still taking time. Because of the nitrite that water change is due. @ sponge filter is probably not enough for the tank. Look into a marineland 30 hob. I hav3 this on my 15g shrimp tank.
Okay thankyou for being so helpful! Should I do that water change everyday? And will my fish be okay with the high ammonia? And okay for that filter how does it work? And hasn't the bacteria started in my other filter so will switch them affect the cycle? And how would I get that filter on with my light covering the whole top of the tank?

86 ssinit

Ok first your light has spaces on the back that are broken off for filter fitting. Yes leave the sponge and add the hob filter. After a month of both running you can remove the sponge.
No your fish will not be good in ammonia. That’s why you have to change water daily. How many fish do you have total number and types.

Paigefav

Ok first your light has spaces on the back that are broken off for filter fitting. Yes leave the sponge and add the hob filter. After a month of both running you can remove the sponge.
No your fish will not be good in ammonia. That’s why you have to change water daily. How many fish do you have total number and types.
Okay, I can't find the filter you mentioned earlier I have 6 glofish danios and 5 glofish tetras. And a couple mystery snails :)

86 ssinit

Sorry wrong number. This is what i suggest
5BCD65D3-6418-4864-AEDD-47770E0AE6EB.png

Paigefav

Sorry wrong number. This is what i suggest
5BCD65D3-6418-4864-AEDD-47770E0AE6EB.png
Okay thankyou! Is there anything else that I can do? And how many days should I do the 50% water changes for?

86 ssinit

You’ve got to keep up the water changes till the ammonia and nitrate are at zero. Neither of these at any rate are good for fish.
Lol now starts the slippery slope!! Oh yes there’s so much more you could do :). What are your plans? What would you like to do? And welcome to fishlore!! I know I’m the only one here now but you’ll find plenty of help and ideas here.

Paigefav

You’ve got to keep up the water changes till the ammonia and nitrate are at zero. Neither of these at any rate are good for fish.
Lol now starts the slippery slope!! Oh yes there’s so much more you could do :). What are your plans? What would you like to do? And welcome to fishlore!! I know I’m the only one here now but you’ll find plenty of help and ideas here.
Well I just was shocked to find baby fish in my tank a few days ago but I managed to get around 10 into a breeding net so I'm hoping to keep them alive so they can grow up! I didn't even know my fish had layed eggs!

86 ssinit

Yes fry are fun. I also keep finding fry. My bosemani rainbows are constantly laying eggs. They are very slow growers. I’ve got 10 now in a 50g with some discus. The fry are around 4-5 months old. And I’ve now got around 15 growing in a 5g for almost a month.
Yes before you know it you’ll have more tanks!! Lol the slippery slope! The condition is called MTS (multiple tank syndrome).

Paigefav

Yes fry are fun. I also keep finding fry. My bosemani rainbows are constantly laying eggs. They are very slow growers. I’ve got 10 now in a 50g with some discus. The fry are around 4-5 months old. And I’ve now got around 15 growing in a 5g for almost a month.
Yes before you know it you’ll have more tanks!! Lol the slippery slope! The condition is called MTS (multiple tank syndrome).
Thankyou so much for all of your help!!! I ordered that filter too :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
lojack
Replies
Views