Aquarium PH suddenly higher than tap water

Discussion in 'pH' started by ripley, Jul 11, 2015.

1. r

ripley New Member Member

Hi all, I have a 75 gallon fresh water tank with 4 silver dollars, 2 gouramis, 2 pictus catfish, 6 nerite snails, and 3 apple snails. All the fish are about 2 inches. My tap water ph is 7.2 and my aquarium use to be about 7.6. I just tested it today and the aquarium ph is now 8.2. What could have happened? Is this a problem for my fish? The only thing I changed was adding a few (about 10 small stalks) of plants - I don't know what they are, they look similar to grass and two moss balls. I read that plants might raise the PH by absorbing CO2. I thought the plants would be a good thing for the nitrogen cycle - I'm confused. Any advice is greatly appreciated - Thanks!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What are your water parameters? Can you also test the KH and GH? Low readings can cause fluctuations in pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    r

ripley New Member Member

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 15
    We have extremely hard water and the kh and gh are off the scale. The ph has always been stable around 7.6 until now. I did a very large water change (about 75%). Afterwards the water was cloudy which has never happened before either. After about a day and a half it was very clear and clean. I wonder if maybe something happened to the well water during that time? We had run a lot of water just prior to my filling the aquarium. Could it be that the water was very low in the well so that caused a change?

4. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

There are dissolved gases in tap water that will separate over the first hour or so, resulting in PH change. It isn't really that significant unless you are doing very large water changes. If that is the case, you should put first half of the replacement water in buckets to "age" or gas off.

5. OP
    OP
    r

ripley New Member Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to do another water change and see if that brings it back down. I didn't know about the dissolved gasses. Appreciate the responses - thanks!

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

Information in the link above that you may find helpful somewhere down the road if not now. :)

Ken (thread moved to Aquarium Water/pH section of the forum)

7. OP
    OP
    r

ripley New Member Member

Wow - looks like a lot of very good info there. I just read the part about accurately testing tap water after agitating and letting it sit. I'm going to try it. Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice