Aquarium Owner's Manual by Gina Sandford

Anders247

I rate this book 5 of 5. The book is not for fish species, though it has a general amount of species, it is for all aspects of fishkeeping. It's 255 pages long.

It starts with a History of Fishkeeping. It shows when aquariums first became popular, the primitive equipment in the old days, and a section about a man who predicted that there would be heaters and filters in the future. It then tells all the advancements of equipment.

The next section is called Understanding Fish. It's about the anatomy of fish, body shape, mouth structure, body coverings, fins, the lateral line, body processes, senses and instincts, and more. They show every type of the above. Very in-depth.

Next is An Aquatic Ecosystem. It talks about the nitrogen cycle. That's all.

Then comes all the freshwater species profiles, although they specifically say that the species listed are the most commonly available. This is not to be used as a fish species guide. They go through Anabantids, Catfish, Characins, Cichlids, Cyprinids, Loaches, Livebearers, Rainbowfish, Coldwater Fish, Brackish Fish, and plants.

Then next is Saltwater fish and invertebrates. It goes through Anenomefish, Angelfish, Butterflyfish, Surgeons and Tangs, Triggerfish, Wrasses, other tropical marine fish, coldwater marine fish, tropical invertebrates, coldwater invertebrates, and Marine algae.

The next section goes into Creating an Aquarium. The first section is about aquarium equipment. Tanks and stands, Filters, Air pumps, Heaters and coolers, lighting, substrates, water, and decor and accessories make up this section.

The next part is called Setting up your Aquarium. They go through tropical freshwater tank, softwater tank, rift lake tank, coldwater tank, brackish water tank, marine tank, and reef tank.

Next is Stocking and Running your Aquarium. This just tells which types of fish to keep together and what water types they need. It also talks about acclimating your fish. The author is of the opinion that drip acclimating is a waste of time, she says that acclimation takes several days anyways. What do you think? It talks about observing your fish, handling fish, water management, and tank maintenance.

Next, Foods and Feeding. Goes over what to feed certain fish and different types of fish foods. They also talk about culturing your own food.

Next is Keeping Your Fish Healthy.This has in-depth info on recognizing ailments, treating them, and their cause. It includes pictures.

Last is Breeding Aquarium Fish. It lists all types of breeding techniques and shows how to set up each one.

That's it! I'd recommend this to anyone.

Thai Aquarium owner

I have had a copy of this little book in my library of fish books for many years now.
This book, although it may not be fully updated ( or at least mine isn't ) with all the latest information and gizmos for keeping fish, will give every budding Aquarist a really good basic understanding of everything to do with fish keeping.
Every fish keeper should have a copy of this book, but having said that if they did, Fishlore, and other similar sites would close down, or become almost redundant.

Rivieraneo

ThaI Aquarium owner said:
I have had a copy of this little book in my library of fish books for many years now.
This book, although it may not be fully updated ( or at least mine isn't ) with all the latest information and gizmos for keeping fish, will give every budding Aquarist a really good basic understanding of everything to do with fish keeping.
Every fish keeper should have a copy of this book, but having said that if they did, Fishlore, and other similar sites would close down, or become almost redundant.
I disagree, I think forums would be just as busy with crazy fish keepers bragging and talking fish

Anders247

That would be something.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom