Aquarium Overheated - Don't Know What To Do

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by sheehanje, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sheehanje

sheehanjeValued MemberMember

I was doing some maintenance in my aquarium and notice the water was extremely warm - I checked the temperature and it was almost 85F !!! Apparently the dial on my 300 watt heater was turned all the way up (it's an external round dial). My tank is usually set for around 77.

I turned it down - but I'm not sure if letting the tank cool off too quick is good, but I certainly don't want it at that temperature. It had to have happened in the past 36 hours or so - but not sure exactly when.

What is the best way of dealing with this? My tank is a 75 gallon. It would probably take 12 hours to cool back down to its normal temperature. Will there be any long term consequences from this?

2. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

If you have any frozen soda bottles around you can use them, PWC, or ice in a baggie. I deal with heat issues about 8 months a year.

3. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

Yup, like the poster above me said, ice in a sealed bag.

4. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

sheehanjeValued MemberMember

Right now it seems to be dropping almost 1 degree Fahrenheit an hour without doing anything - is that good enough?

5. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice