Question Aquarium Newbie :)

Misschiwa

Reaction score
Hello All

I took the plunge on getting my first ever tropical fresh/tap water aquarium (I grew up in the 70s when you simply popped a goldfish in a bowl!)

I confess I did not know about cycling tank before I purchased my 60l aquarium (6/15) or indeed when and after I bought my aquarium - although the store told me I had to wait a week until I got fish. Which I did.

6/22 after successful store check on water I was delighted to get:

6 x diamond neon tetra
2 x marble mollies
2 x guppies

I fed/feed them every day.

6/23 guppy died (found on floor)

6/27 first approx 20% water change (including taking the spongy mesh out of filter and giving a squeeze and a rinse in extracted aquarium water and pop in 5 aquarium balls and use a cap and a half of dechlorinator)

6/28 took water sample to store, as was good, got:

1 x Siamese fighting fish
2 x diamond neon tetra

7/1 got and used a gravel vacuumer.

7/5 water change per above.

7/6 1x marble molly died, last guppy looking off hanging around gravel not moving much, lethargic - then saw die :(

Removed dead fish immediately and visited store with water sample. Said had ammonia spike and reasonably common during cycle (now I know properly about cycle and am and continue to do loads of research as tank is clearly cycling!).

On advice of store have not fed (day 2 of fast) and did a water change (per above) when I returned from store.

No more deaths (hurrah!) but kh/gh readings seem high (180) and ammonia and nitrites were high so I popped in a cap and a half of ammonia lock.

I don’t want to upset the cycling but I’m really worried when I feed fish tomorrow they will die :(

Am I doing anything wrong/should I do anything/add anything?

Cheers in advance and sorry about the War and Peace account above!

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, I would increase your weekly water changes to 50%. It will help keep your water parameters in check a bit. Are you using a dechlorinator for your water? Something like seacham prime or api stresscoat. When you change your water are you changing/rinsing off the filter cartridge with tap water? If so, don't. Filter cartridges last until they fall apart and when you clean them it should be with tank water.
Only feed your fish a bit of food once a day and clean what they don't eat right away. A snail or some shrimp might work for this too but don't add anything else until you have your parameters in order.
I don't see any harm in adding a bacterial start to your tank to help cycle your tank faster. Something like in the attached picture below.
Good luck.

Attachments

OP
Misschiwa

Misschiwa

Reaction score
Ghelfaire said:
Ok, I would increase your weekly water changes to 50%. It will help keep your water parameters in check a bit. Are you using a dechlorinator for your water? Something like seacham prime or api stresscoat. When you change your water are you changing/rinsing off the filter cartridge with tap water? If so, don't. Filter cartridges last until they fall apart and when you clean them it should be with tank water.
Only feed your fish a bit of food once a day and clean what they don't eat right away. A snail or some shrimp might work for this too but don't add anything else until you have your parameters in order.
I don't see any harm in adding a bacterial start to your tank to help cycle your tank faster. Something like in the attached picture below.
Good luck.

OP
Misschiwa

Misschiwa

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your speedy reply and advice!

I popped in some Ammo Lock yesterday (forgot to mention) - about 7ml

I am rinsing the filter in the water that I take out of the tank on a change and yes I pop AquaCare (cap and a half) in the tap water that I pour in to the tank on the change. Pic attached.

Will up to 50% - I do the WC weekly - so Saturday/Sunday scheduled - do you think I should do it before or just wait and keep the fish stress-free?

They seem to be doing well today!
image.jpg

Em

Attachments

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Extra water changes won't stress your fish but if you want to keep to your schedule then that's ok too.

New Threads