Aquarium mystery!!??

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a five gallon tank that hasn't had fish in it for over a month, maybe two. I've been using it toculture daphnia for my guppy fry and it has some driftwood in it. Nothing special. Just now I looked at it and saw something really confusing... At least four of them. There are at least four fry in this tank. Definitely not guppies and the only other fish I have in that area are wcmm. They look a lot like wcmm fry but they couldn't possibly have been dormant eggs for all this time could they? What's going on?

leftswerve

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is absolutely possible that you cross contaminated the tanks with wcmm. Those are egg scatterers. If you happened to scoop a few up in a net and transferred them, it could happen.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree, that's how bodies of water without direct connection to other waters can be colonised by fish. E.g. if eggs stick to feathers of waterfowl.

It's not unusual that this happens with aquaria next to another, too. (Though without the birds.)

OP
A

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
leftswerve said:
It is absolutely possible that you cross contaminated the tanks with wcmm. Those are egg scatterers. If you happened to scoop a few up in a net and transferred them, it could happen.
I haven't used any of the same equipment on those tanks except sucking daphnia out of the 5 gal and feeding them to the parents every couple of days. I don't understand how this could be. And it couldn't have been my dog or a bird or anything because the wcmm tank has a cover. I'm so confused

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's enough to have a few droplets of water on your hand after working on the tank with the fish and shake them off, possibly hitting the daphnia tank. Or you didn't realize using some of the equipment on both. It can all happen. ;)

OP
A

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MacZ said:
It's enough to have a few droplets of water on your hand after working on the tank with the fish and shake them off, possibly hitting the daphnia tank. Or you didn't realize using some of the equipment on both. It can all happen. ;)
Are wcmm eggs really that small?

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they are similar in size to those of other egg scattering fish with that adult size, yes.

OP
A

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I haven't put my hand in the water for over a week because I'm treating fin rot so I just don't think it makes sense

I am almost certain they couldn't have been moved over. Is it possible for eggs to lay dormant?

New Threads