Aquarium lights

1. Azurespider Initiate Member

[​IMG]
    I did my first dirted tank and I have two power chrome aqua flora t5 bulbs in the fixture. Will that be enough for my plants? I have micro swords that I'm hoping will carpet, Amazon swords, bacopa, temple compact, wendtii green, windelov fern and another fern I don't know the name of and some Anubias nana.

2. Skyy2112 Member Member

As long as your t5's are the correct temp then yes. (Usually a 6500k and a 2800k is what I would run together)

Dosing ferts/co2?

3. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

4. aniroc Well Known Member Member

Giesemann Aquaflora does not have a Kelvin rating because it is not a full spectrum. It has been modified to suit plants (a full spectrum 6.000k is recommended along it so all together the tank looks naturally).
    I believe your lighting to be medium and all the plants you mentioned to do well.
    What fixture are you using? How old are the bulbs?

5. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

A couple of the plants are high light.
    Echinodorus Tenellus (Micro Sword) - native to South America, requires High light, prefers temps 68-80 degrees F.
    Echinodorus Amazonicus (Amazon Sword) - Native to South America, requires medium light, prefers temps 75-80F.
    Bacopa Caroliniana - native to North America, requires High to Very High light, prefers temps 68-80F.
    Hygrophylia (Temple plant) - native to Southeast Asia, requires medium light, prefers temps 70-80F
    Cryptocoryne Wendtii - Native to Sri Lanka, requires Medium light, prefers temps 70-80F.
    Microsorium pteropus (Windelov Fern) - Native to Southeast Asia, Medium light, 70-80F
    Anubias - medium light, 72-82F.

6. Azurespider Initiate Member

I don't know what fixture it is but the bulbs are new.

7. Azurespider Initiate Member

The temp is the correct range

8. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

look on the end of your bulbs. there should be writing stating the amount of watts, color temp, etc.

9. Azurespider Initiate Member

[​IMG]
    That's what the box says.

10. aniroc Well Known Member Member

T5HO are 54W at 48 inches. I believe your tank is 75 gallons. Please confirm it.

11. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Concur, 54W bulbs come in 48-inch lengths. OP most likely has a 55 or 75 gallon tank. I would go with the two bulb fixture and dose some glut to control algae.

12. Azurespider Initiate Member

13. Azurespider Initiate Member

My fixture has two bulbs and I am running a diy co2 system through a powerhead.

14. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

OK, good. Run the CO2. Going with the charts in Hoppy's thread provided in the previous link, you are bordering in the High Light range at the substrate. Assuming your tank is 20" high with 2-3 inches of gravel, you are looking at about 17-18" from the light to the substrate bordering the high range. Now, consider a plant about 5 inches tall: you are easily around 130 PAR and as plants further approach the surface the PAR gets higher.

One of the biggest mistakes made in "planted" tanks is too much light. I am also guilty. I used to have a 4X54Watt T5HO fixture blasting on a 55 gallon tank. That is close to 4 watts per gallon! I had an obscene amount of PAR! The plants grew well, but so did the algae. It took me a long time to realize what my problem was. After doing some research, I cut back to 2 bulbs. I still had great plant growth, but I noticed the algae was fading away. The plants were absorbing the nutrients and starving the algae! Moral of the story: I was trying to "muscle" great plant growth and you cannot do that.

15. Azurespider Initiate Member

Thank you so much for the info I was really worried about my plants not getting the light they need.