Aquarium lighting - glass tops and light bars

Lady Indiana

The florescent lighting in my freshwater 55 finally went out after 20+ yrs. the ballasts are bad so I’m curious what everyone has covering/lighting your aquarium. I’m considering glass tops with light bars. However, I’m concerned about a couple of things so I’d LOVE your opinions and pics of what you have.
1. Does condensation block the view from the top?
2. Can you see the lights from the top? Do they reflect on the glass so you have a glare?
3. How hard are they to clean? I have very hard water and the buildup is a beast to get off my current black hoods.

I think I’d really like to be able to view my fish from the top. Plus the bulky black fluorescent hood I currently have is sooooo dated, and ugly. Also, it’s not a planted tank so it’ll just be for viewing the fishies.

Please share pics too. I love seeing everyone’s tanks

jake37

A few people use tubes but the nice ones don't last long. Most people 'cept the few who use tubes use LED. LED is where it is these days - they just light everything up. I have a fluval plant 3.0. Actually i have 5 fluval plant 3.0 but other people use finnex and some use beamwork and a few use led flood lights and i guess i should let everyone else tell you what they use. In a future life next year i will try something different than fluval plant 3.0 but that is in a future life next year - in this life i use fluval plant 3.0. Did i mention that i use fluval plant 3.0 ?

Upvote 0

emilymg

The florescent lighting in my 55 finally went out after 20+ yrs. the ballasts are bad so I’m curious what everyone has covering/lighting your aquarium. I’m considering glass tops with light bars. However, I’m conserned about a couple of things so I’d LOVE your opinions and pics of what you have.
1. Does condensation block the view from the top?
2. Can you see the lights from the top? Do they reflect on the glass so you have a glare?
3. How hard are they to clean? I have very hard water and the buildup is a beast to get off my current black hoods.

I think I’d really like to be able to view my fish from the top. Plus the bulky black fluorescent hood I currently have is sooooo dated, and ugly.

Please share pics too. I love seeing everyone’s tanks
If you want a more affordable option, the Nicrew ClassicLED Plus Planted is what I have on one of my nano planted tanks. Plants are growing like crazy and are super healthy. It only covers some of the top, I can add a picture if you really want to know what it looks like. Very easy to clean, and no glare! Super bright and has a variety of LED colors that support better and faster plant growth. A lot of people on here would probably back Nicrew lights.

Upvote 0

jake37

I'm curious - is your tank 21 inches tall like a 55 gallon tank ?

If you want a more affordable option, the Nicrew ClassicLED Plus Planted is what I have on one of my nano planted tanks. Plants are growing like crazy and are super healthy.

Upvote 0

emilymg

I'm curious - is your tank 21 inches tall like a 55 gallon tank ?
It is not, however many people use them successfully on tanks with a higher depth. Check YouTube and you’ll find some nice reviews on the Nicrew line.

Upvote 0

jake37

Yea - they are all the same 'cept for a few high end ones that are 3x brighter. But those are expensive.

Upvote 0

Donthemon

Current satellite pro plus . 200!bucks but you can make any color almost and control the day night time cycle with remote. Real thin and streamlined looking.
951C72B6-06BF-4D43-8632-FFCE380D42C6.jpeg

Attachments

• 27A590E6-7EC7-4FAA-888B-48538B36D6B9.jpeg
    27A590E6-7EC7-4FAA-888B-48538B36D6B9.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0

deadhead

Current satellite pro plus . 200!bucks but you can make any color almost and control the day night time cycle with remote. Real thin and streamlined looking.
951C72B6-06BF-4D43-8632-FFCE380D42C6.jpeg
Nice fishies!!! How long have you had them? They're pretty big.

Go LED. You're going to love them. They're great for planted tanks and reef tanks. Low profile, low heat and low on the electric bill.

Condensation on a glass top does block your view. There's no problem with glare from the lights. If I didn't have hatchetfish I would ditch the glass top and leave it open.

Upvote 0

Donthemon

Nice fishies!!! How long have you had them? They're pretty big.
Thanks! Mbuna two years. Discus year and a half or so. Discus were 3/12 inches or so when I got them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
California L33
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
PeteStevers
Replies