Reaction score
Experience
1 year

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, just do it the old fashion way, switch them on and off.

If you get a timer you'd probably never look at your fish again. Part of the fun of keeping fish and aquariums is turning the lights on and looking in on them for a little while. :

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chrisb01 said:
If you get a timer you'd probably never look at your fish again.
I'm not sure I understand this. Why would putting the lights on a timer mean you'd never look at the fish?

But to answer the OP's question, no, you do not need a timer. Timers do help to ensure that your day-to-day lighting is consistent, though.

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mathas said:
I'm not sure I understand this. Why would putting the lights on a timer mean you'd never look at the fish?
I'm speaking by my own experience. It really doesn't have to be like that with everybody.

When I turn on the fish tank lights, I take the chance to look closely at my fish and plants. I go one by one turning on the lights and doing this. If I had a timer, I'd probably wouldn't do it at all, since all the lights would go on at the same time on their own.

Even though I do take time everyday just to stare at my fish at least a few minutes each day.

I don't even know why I made the comment. It was just the first thing that popped in my head.

BTW, I don't like automatic feeders either.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really like timers. It ensures that the lights come on and go off at the same time everyday. I think that way you aren't randomly turning the lights on/off at different times which may stress the fish in the tank.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Timers are a must on planted aquariums IMO. Plants are just as sensitive to changes in the lighting hours as fish are & if the lighting varies too much the plants will definitely suffer, in severe cases they can even die. If switching on the lights is the only time someone remembers to look at their fish, I would have to ask why they really want to keep fish in the first place? I'm not having a go at you Chris, I really am just curious why you would have fish if you don't take the time to admire them.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have timers on all of my tanks. I'm with Nutter and feel that the plants need a routine just like the fish do. Lights on for so many hours and lights off for so many hours. The timers make it a lot easier.

Ken

chrisb01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter said:
I'm not having a go at you Chris, I really am just curious why you would have fish if you don't take the time to admire them.
Yes, you're perfectly correct in your inquiry, and I understand it perfectly also. In fact, that's what prompted my first response in the first place.

I do take time to look at my fish on a daily basis. I have a recliner in front of my fish tanks, it's a swivel one, so I can rotate and see all my fish and stare at each fish tank for a while. I admire all my fish. I have a 55 gal. and a 29 gal. full of Guppies, a 55 gal. with Angelfish and tetras. I have BN Plecos in the 55s and Cories and Ottos in the 29. Those are my show tanks that I keep in the living room. I also have breeding tanks in my garage that I spend time with also.

OK, everyday it takes me a while to turn on my lights, because I go to each tank and as I turn on the lights, I take a close look at the fish in it to make sure everything is normal, I look for signs of sickness or anything out of place. There are days when I only have this time to look though. Sometimes I get so busy with other things I must do. I wish I could spend every hour of every day looking at my little friends, but there are times when I even have to go out of town.

However, sometimes I find in this forums people asking about some disease or sickness that is already too far gone to save the fish. So I think, if this person got up every morning and look at the fish he/she would have caught this on time to save the fish. I don't mean, sit in front of the tank to admire the fish, but to look closely at every tank, 'closely' to see any little white spot or a little whitish along the edge of the tail.

Nutter, I do appreciate your question. I have been keeping fish since I was five. No, my parents did not buy me a tank. You see I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. So I used to go to the creek or streams and catch wild Guppies. I kept them in glass pickle jars that I got from the local grocery store.

I love my fish, and they get my utmost attention and the best care that I can give them.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not implying at all that you don't do the best you can for your fish so I hope that didn't seem like what I was saying. Your answer makes more sense now that you have explained what you meant. i too have an incredibly busy life & don't spend as much time watching my fish as I would like to but they do get fed twice each day so I take that time to inspet the fish & tank for anything untoward. I make sure I take some time out after work each day to sit & just watch the fish. That's my unwind time.

snail_chen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can get cheap timer for several bucks a piece at Walmart!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads