Aquarium light at night

Grammywms

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Up until recently, I kept my aquarium light off at night for our male betta. But my husband, who is in home hospice, is comforted when light is on at night. How will it affect our betta?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Up until recently, I kept my aquarium light off at night for our male betta. But my husband, who is in home hospice, is comforted when light is on at night. How will it affect our betta?
You might consider a dimmer, nightlight type light instead of the normal bright tank light. The betta will survive the light, turn it on for your husband. :)

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear about your husband.

Leaving your light on 24/7 coukd stress your fish and cause and algae outbreak. You could only have your light turned on overnight for your husband and leave it off during the day or if he only needs it before he sleeps and doesnt wake up during the night you can change the schedule so it turns on and off later. My lights dont get turned on till 2.30pm and go off at 10.30pm as id rather have the lights on at night then during the day when im at work

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your husband.

What about a blue light at night? My minnows are much less active with the blue light than they are with the white light.

Grammywms

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You might consider a dimmer, nightlight type light instead of the normal bright tank light. The betta will survive the light, turn it on for your husband. :)
a dimmer for my husband or for the tank?

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your husband.

What about a blue light at night? My minnows are much less active with the blue light than they are with the white light.
thank you

Sorry to hear about your husband.

Leaving your light on 24/7 coukd stress your fish and cause and algae outbreak. You could only have your light turned on overnight for your husband and leave it off during the day or if he only needs it before he sleeps and doesnt wake up during the night you can change the schedule so it turns on and off later. My lights dont get turned on till 2.30pm and go off at 10.30pm as id rather have the lights on at night then during the day when im at work
If I have the light off during the day, there is still daylight. Does it have the same effect on bettas as tank light?

I use Indian Almond leaves. Would the dark water decrease the effects of a tank light at night?

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I have the light off during the day, there is still daylight. Does it have the same effect on bettas as tank light?
I personally wouldnt worry about the ambient light my fish never seem disturbed by it and Its probably better then having the tank light on 24hrs.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
a dimmer for my husband or for the tank?

thank you

I use Indian Almond leaves. Would the dark water decrease the effects of a tank light at night?
Lol! A dimmer (less bright) light on the tank. I don't think they make dimmers...or volume control knobs for husbands...do they??
Bright regular tank light probably has the same effect on fish as daylight. Outdoor lights at night affect nocturnal critters, winter fur growth on horses, and can affect migratory behaviors in migrating animals.
Dark water probably would mitigate the effect of light at night to some extent. Like having a yellow bulb instead of a white one on a porch light.

Grammywms

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not thinking straight. I didn't know they made dimmers for tank lights.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just buy an aquarium light with a lunar setting. I keep my lunars on all night. The fish can still be viewed and they go into sleep mode much like they would in a totally blacked out tank.

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not thinking straight. I didn't know they made dimmers for tank lights.
I don't know about stand alone dimmers, but some lights have dimmer settings on the remote. Three of mine have that. It's hard to tell because of the office lights, but the dim effect is much more pronounced in a darkened room.

Grammywms

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just buy an aquarium light with a lunar setting. I keep my lunars on all night. The fish can still be viewed and they go into sleep mode much like they would in a totally blacked out tank.
Next time I get a chance, I'll look into it. Thx.

Grammywms

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know about stand alone dimmers, but some lights have dimmer settings on the remote. Three of mine have that. It's hard to tell because of the office lights, but the dim effect is much more pronounced in a darkened room.
That's amazing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom