Aquarium Led Lighting Question

1. NinaB

NinaB New Member Member

So right now I have a 10 gallon planted betta tank. I bought it as a kit and it came with 5W LED lights, but I looked online and that seems to be too little light for my plants (even though they're all low light).

However, because I have a betta and shrimp, I can't instal most of the hood LED lights because that would mean removing my lid. (it's a topfin 10 tank)
    photo_2018-05-26_19-15-34.jpg

I was wondering what y'all would do for this? LED strips? not bother adding more?

My plants have been doing alright, some have lost a lot of leaves and a couple leaves have gone yellow. They aren't straight up dying, but they're not completely thriving.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

The micro swords, moneywort, and wisteria will probably die. They need medium to high light and ferts dosing. The rest look like amazon swords, hornwort and moss balls will do good. The amazon sword will grow big with the stratum as the substrate. They grow massive. Some leaves will also die as they are grown emersed(out of water) but new submerged growth will grow. You can get a 10 watt bulb with a brooder lamp and hang it above the tank. That’s how I have my tank. Lidless. 1 watt per gallon.

3. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Well Known Member Member

Your tank looks nice!

Your options are only low light plants, going lidless, or buying a glass lid that you can put a new light over. My 10 gallon shrimp set up has no lid with a nice LED light. The lid does hold in a lot of moisture so expect to top off the tank morw as it evaporates.