Aquarium Hoods - Page 2

AWESOMEMollyMASTER

Junne what lights do you currently keep? Are they on top, or under the hood? My fish are jumpers and I need a glass hood for my DIY lights.

Junne

Junne what lights do you currently keep? Are they on top, or under the hood? My fish are jumpers and I need a glass hood for my DIY lights.

I have the same one you originally asked about - the Versatop glass by Aqueon.
I like it and it has worked well for me but this light by National G has me intrigued because the day and night lights are on a timer and programmable. Right now, I can put the lights on a timer but because of the switch, it has to be either day lights or night, not both on a timer.

AWESOMEMollyMASTER

But the Versatop is just a hood.... Right?

Junne

But the Versatop is just a hood.... Right?

ooopps, MY bad! Sorry.... I haven't had my coffee yet... lol - I deleted that part about the lights because I lost my train of thought when you were asking about the HOOD not the lights!!!

I use the Aqueon LED Aquarium Light Fixture, 48-Inch

AWESOMEMollyMASTER

Thank you- on your light fixture do you use extra bulbs?

Junne

Thank you- on your light fixture do you use extra bulbs?

Yes, it came with 2 strips - and I added the colormax one that has the red lights to enhance the colors of my tank. So far, the lights are great but really like the idea of the programmable timer being built in to switch between the night and day lights automatically............

LpPb5

I have HOB filter on the right side because there isn't enough space to fit it behind the tank because of the wall... I would like to keep it on the side but I want a tank hood with lighting etc,, but for some reason I'm stumped or just stupid lol and can't seem to figure out how the filter will fit ???

oldsalt777

Hello Lp...

Check the Foster and Smith site for plant lighting and also at a glass canopy. Marineland makes both and may have what you need.

Old

dennisbro

True, I ordered one glass canopy on fosters and smith for 13 dollars.

TexasDomer

I don't think you'll be able to use the glass lid properly with the filter on the side. Can you not move the tank away from the wall a few inches? What size tank? If it's small enough, you can do a large water change, move it, and fill it back up.

LpPb5

I could move it and have it in the back but still what hood do I get

TexasDomer

I could move it and have it in the back but still what hood do I get
I like the Versa glass tops.

tokiodreamy

I got a perfecto glass canopy for my 29 gallon. You cut the back piece how you want it. I have 2 hob filters

YaziLeah

HI all!

So I have decided that I want to build a new lid for my aquarium. The one I currently have isn't very practical and I have tried searching for one to buy but they are really hard to find in the right size and quite expensive!

I found this video explaining how to make these lids which are super simple, inexpensive and very effective:

I've decided to make one out of acrylic first to trial it as acrylic is MUCH cheaper than glass and if I decide that it doesn't work for me it's no big deal.

My only issue is finding the "outside plastic moulding" in the correct shape (I have posted a photo of I'm after below) I'm based in the UK, so I can't order it from the link that Simply Betta have supplied.

Can anyone help at all!?

Thanks in advance

white-stabilit-general-purpose-moulding-10004-zw096cb-64_1000.jpg

LunaSky

The moulding used for this technique is super common and found in hard ware stores pretty much around the world. I’m not sure what acrylic goes for in the UK be here, glass is cheaper. I’ve used this type of lid before until I finally went lidless a couple years ago.

bgclarke

Depending on how wide your tank is, the acrylic will sag.
I have thin acrylic lids on 12 inch/30 cm cube tanks and the lids sag.

thequietman44

HI all!
My only issue is finding the "outside plastic moulding" in the correct shape (I have posted a photo of I'm after below) I'm based in the UK, so I can't order it from the link that Simply Betta have supplied.
Here in the US at Lowes or Home Depot it's called panel molding (this particular shape is ""), so you might try searching for "corner moulding" or other UK variants. It's used to join FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) wall panels together and around corners if that helps.

I can't provide any firsthand experience with acrylic lids, but I used cheap plate glass from Lowes ($5.68 for a ) cut into 3 pieces 5.5x19.25". With some light sanding to take off the sharp edges it actually looks quite nice for a <$10 lid.

YaziLeah

The moulding used for this technique is super common and found in hard ware stores pretty much around the world. I’m not sure what acrylic goes for in the UK be here, glass is cheaper. I’ve used this type of lid before until I finally went lidless a couple years ago.

Thank you!

Ooh, how did you find it? I would rather make it out of glass as it is less likely to scratch and will run a lot smoother, but I thought I'd give acrylic a go first as a sort of dummy run. If I find it looks good and is practical, I'll invest in the glass sheets

Depending on how wide your tank is, the acrylic will sag.
I have thin acrylic lids on 12 inch/30 cm cube tanks and the lids sag.

Thank you for the heads up!

Mine is also W30xD30cm, how thick should the acrylic be to prevent this?

Here in the US at Lowes or Home Depot it's called panel molding (this particular shape is ""), so you might try searching for "corner moulding" or other UK variants. It's used to join FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) wall panels together and around corners if that helps.

I can't provide any firsthand experience with acrylic lids, but I used cheap plate glass from Lowes ($5.68 for a ) cut into 3 pieces 5.5x19.25". With some light sanding to take off the sharp edges it actually looks quite nice for a <$10 lid.

Thank you! I'll try searching again with different terms.

I would love to use glass (as its less likely to scratch and will run smoother), but it's a lot more expensive than acrylic in the UK. I plan to make a kind of dummy lid with the acrylic and if I find it looks good and is practical, I'll invest in the glass

Maxxx

I’m planning on making a glass lid for a 20 long. I’m in college and have been making some stained glass candle holders with scrap stained glass so I’ve gotten some experience cutting glass. I have a chipped 10 gallon which I’m going to make a 2 piece lid out of.

IMG_9619.JPG
This is one of the pieces I have made. Please keep posting on how your acrylic one comes out! In the U.S. the glass is much cheaper but since I have access to the tools and a damaged tank I’m gonna roll with it.

YaziLeah

I’m planning on making a glass lid for a 20 long. I’m in college and have been making some stained glass candle holders with scrap stained glass so I’ve gotten some experience cutting glass. I have a chipped 10 gallon which I’m going to make a 2 piece lid out of.

IMG_9619.JPG
This is one of the pieces I have made. Please keep posting on how your acrylic one comes out! In the U.S. the glass is much cheaper but since I have access to the tools and a damaged tank I’m gonna roll with it.

Wow, that's looks incredible!

I know, it's so strange isn't it?! Here in the UK the lid I'm planning to make will cost around £15. If I made it with glass, I'd be looking at at least £50! If the acrylic dummy works out, I will totally invest in the glass, and all I'd have to do is swap out the sheets, so that makes it simple and more affordable. Also, since this is my first DIY project, I figure if I make a mistake, it's no big deal with acrylic.

I will totally be posted an update of before and after photos! Hopefully I'll be able to get started real soon

Maxxx

Wow, that's looks incredible!

I know, it's so strange isn't it?! Here in the UK the lid I'm planning to make will cost around £15. If I made it with glass, I'd be looking at at least £50! If the acrylic dummy works out, I will totally invest in the glass, and all I'd have to do is swap out the sheets, so that makes it simple and more affordable. Also, since this is my first DIY project, I figure if I make a mistake, it's no big deal with acrylic.

I will totally be posted an update of before and after photos! Hopefully I'll be able to get started real soon

When you do go to glass make sure to try the cuts on some old single pane windows if you can. The glass doesn’t cut it actually breaks along scratches put into it. I’ll do a post on my 20 long build

YaziLeah

When you do go to glass make sure to try the cuts on some old single pane windows if you can. The glass doesn’t cut it actually breaks along scratches put into it. I’ll do a post on my 20 long build

Okay, cool. Yes, please do! I'd love to see the outcome

Maxxx

Okay, cool. Yes, please do! I'd love to see the outcome

The chipped 10 gallon ended up cracking apart when I went to take it apart so I’m going to check if I can get my hands on another piece of glass ;(

YaziLeah

The chipped 10 gallon ended up cracking apart when I went to take it apart so I’m going to check if I can get my hands on another piece of glass ;(

Oh no! That sucks... Are there no salvageable pieces?

Maxxx

Oh no! That sucks... Are there no salvageable pieces?

I talked to Brother Mark (he’s a monk at Saint Vincent who has taught me stained glass) and he had a piece that is long enough to stretch the whole tank that he’s gonna let me use. I plan on cleaning up what’s left so he can use the smaller pieces to teach new students how to cut glass. The clear glass is the easiest to cut and is very cheap compared to the textured and colored glass.

YaziLeah

I talked to Brother Mark (he’s a monk at Saint Vincent who has taught me stained glass) and he had a piece that is long enough to stretch the whole tank that he’s gonna let me use. I plan on cleaning up what’s left so he can use the smaller pieces to teach new students how to cut glass. The clear glass is the easiest to cut and is very cheap compared to the textured and colored glass.

Ahh that's great news! I love a good trade

Maxxx

I ended up using some scrap acrylic he had laying around. There’s a few scratches but I’ll be able to drill holes for my canister filter’s intake and output hoses.

Image1554303186.809064.jpg

I used the same molding shown in the video.

YaziLeah

I ended up using some scrap acrylic he had laying around. There’s a few scratches but I’ll be able to drill holes for my canister filter’s intake and output hoses.

Image1554303186.809064.jpg

I used the same molding shown in the video.

Oh wow, that looks great! I can't wait to get mine done! Thank you for sharing

Maxxx

57720386166__ACE207AD-60E9-4C9D-9945-870AD553AE72.JPG

Figured I should post a picture of the finished project. I’m really happy with how it came out. I can’t wait to see how yours looks!

Chris87

Does anyone know where you can get glass lids without the hinge I don't like it because it blocks the light. I need one for a 10 gallon tank and a 40 gallon breeder.

BigManAquatics

I have never stumbled upon myself when i browse for lids and whatnot. Might be better off checking prices on glass and plexi-glass and cutting a piece to size for the tanks. Then just add a cabinet handle or something from the hardware store so you can lift it easy to feed.

The_fishy

I made sliding lids out of an old leaking tank and some pvc or vinyl tracks. They now have stick on handles.
96819954-9A4B-4F10-BF43-F69E365C00D7.jpeg

Chris87

Those look nice how thick was the glass

The_fishy

Those look nice how thick was the glass
I think 2 or 3mm off of the top of my head. It was an older tank, so was a little thicker than the modern ones.

djbennett1989

I’ve been out of the game for a few years and just recently bought a new tank. I bought a 29g “all in one” combo at petsmart. It came with tank, filter, heater, thermostat, lid w light, and a fish net. The filter is decent, nothing fancy but I’m looking for low maintenance fish so the filter should be able to handle that.
The tank lid is my question. Back in my day, lids came with an opening for your filter to be, which this lid has... but on most lids I’ve seen it gives you an option to pop off a piece of the other side so you can run 2 HOB filters.
Are those not a thing anymore? Has anyone had an luck modifying this new style lid to allow for two HOBs?

Attachments

• EAEF88E9-5C2D-4258-82AA-00B2A94658C0.jpeg
    EAEF88E9-5C2D-4258-82AA-00B2A94658C0.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 23

seamonkey102

You could just try cutting an opening yourself. Just make sure to avoid any lights or wires. I did the same with mine to fit some sweet potatoes. Or you could just buy some online. Don't really know what kind of lid you're looking for so can't really tell you anything else.

AggressiveAquatics

I’ve been out of the game for a few years and just recently bought a new tank. I bought a 29g “all in one” combo at petsmart. It came with tank, filter, heater, thermostat, lid w light, and a fish net. The filter is decent, nothing fancy but I’m looking for low maintenance fish so the filter should be able to handle that.
The tank lid is my question. Back in my day, lids came with an opening for your filter to be, which this lid has... but on most lids I’ve seen it gives you an option to pop off a piece of the other side so you can run 2 HOB filters.
Are those not a thing anymore? Has anyone had an luck modifying this new style lid to allow for two HOBs?
Never seen or had one that gave you the option for two hob filters. I wouldn’t try cutting into it though because of the wiring that’s inside for the lights. If you want extra filtration you can run a sponge filter

djbennett1989

With my previous fish, there was no such thing as over filtration. Is that the same for all fish?
I’m just looking for a community tank but if I only have room for 1 HOB, I’m thinking of just getting an AC110 but worry that’s too much for a 29g

Dunk2

With my previous fish, there was no such thing as over filtration. Is that the same for all fish?
I’m just looking for a community tank but if I only have room for 1 HOB, I’m thinking of just getting an AC110 but worry that’s too much for a 29g

So long as the filter(s) isn’t blowing fish around the tank, over-filtration is a good thing.

That said, I have 2 AC 110s on my 75 gallon. In my opinion, 1 would probably be too much for a 29.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
rainbowsprinkles
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Replies
Views