Aquarium hood

1. newhobbiest Initiate Member

I have and Aqueon 20 gal. tank. The hood has a plastic cover over the light fixture. This cover keeps getting covered with algae and a white "soap-scum" like substance. Are there any tips or tricks for avoiding or cleaning this stuff, or is it just something to deal with?

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

The white film is most likly hard water stains from condensation. My glass tops get this. I am not sure of the best way to clean it off plastic though... sorry. For any algea I get on my tank hoods I just wipe them off with a paper towel soaked in hot water.

3. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

A mild solution of white vinegar and warm/hot water should remove the hard water stains ;)

4. ivonko Member Member

i think i will steal this cleaning recipe as i have the same problem lol. does the vinegar have negative effect on the fish?

5. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

If you tip it in the tank, it's probably not going to be helpful to the fish ;)

But as a cleaning solution, no WHITE vinegar is fine. Vinegar is organic, and trace amounts will pose no 'threat' to your livestock.

That said, after cleaning, I always wipe off the area with clean warm water.

6. ivonko Member Member

excellent. thank you very much!

7. newhobbiest Initiate Member

I just cleaned it and with a little bit of scrubbing, it came off fairly easy! Awesome! I will be cleaning mine with the white vinegar/warm water trick from now on. THANK YOU ryanr! :)

8. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

:;hf

Glad it worked for you.

9. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

i have also found that if you lay a wet paper towel over the area you want to clean for 15 or so minutes, it scrapes off really easily with a blade or something similar.

10. AdoraDora Member Member

this may be silly, but i have the same problem, and I just scrape it off with a putty knife. You know the kind you use to put plaster on the wall. Works like a charm for me.