Aquarium hood

1. newhobbiest

newhobbiest Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have and Aqueon 20 gal. tank. The hood has a plastic cover over the light fixture. This cover keeps getting covered with algae and a white "soap-scum" like substance. Are there any tips or tricks for avoiding or cleaning this stuff, or is it just something to deal with?

2. Lexi03

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +42
    The white film is most likly hard water stains from condensation. My glass tops get this. I am not sure of the best way to clean it off plastic though... sorry. For any algea I get on my tank hoods I just wipe them off with a paper towel soaked in hot water.

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +315
    A mild solution of white vinegar and warm/hot water should remove the hard water stains ;)

4. ivonko

ivonko Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i think i will steal this cleaning recipe as i have the same problem lol. does the vinegar have negative effect on the fish?

5. ryanr

Ratings:
    +315
    If you tip it in the tank, it's probably not going to be helpful to the fish ;)

But as a cleaning solution, no WHITE vinegar is fine. Vinegar is organic, and trace amounts will pose no 'threat' to your livestock.

That said, after cleaning, I always wipe off the area with clean warm water.

6. ivonko

ivonko Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    excellent. thank you very much!

7. OP
    OP
    newhobbiest

newhobbiest Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just cleaned it and with a little bit of scrubbing, it came off fairly easy! Awesome! I will be cleaning mine with the white vinegar/warm water trick from now on. THANK YOU ryanr! :)

8. ryanr

Ratings:
    +315
    :;hf

Glad it worked for you.

9. iZaO Jnr

iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +70
    i have also found that if you lay a wet paper towel over the area you want to clean for 15 or so minutes, it scrapes off really easily with a blade or something similar.

10. AdoraDora

AdoraDora Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    this may be silly, but i have the same problem, and I just scrape it off with a putty knife. You know the kind you use to put plaster on the wall. Works like a charm for me.