Aquarium Hobby is Addictive

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fufu, Aug 3, 2015.

1. FufuValued MemberMember

Hi all

Not too sure where to post this but I'm sure it will get moved soon enough

I just went out and bought my second fish tank. My first one is a 120G community which a few of you might know.

I just felt that this wasn't enough lol, so I went out and got a 10G and put some endlers and neons. Looks like my endlers are pregnant too!

Anyone else ever have these urges and impulses?

Fufu

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438586804.388226.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438586819.824174.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438586852.757493.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

MTS (multiple tank syndrome) is pretty common in the hobby. Until I move to my new apartment I'm limited on space or I would have much more than a 20 gallon high. Next time Petco has their $1/gallon sale I'm thinking about picking up about four 40 gallon breeder tanks to use with a rack from Lowe's. The impulse to add more to my tank, change it around, research different species, culture live food, add more tanks, etc., is very powerful for me. It's too bad that I don't have the room for it all right now. :( Congratulations on your new tank though, beautiful fish! :)

3. OP
    OP
    F

FufuValued MemberMember

I totally understand this now haha. MTS is very real and hard to overcome. I just think the fact that the possibility of so many different "fish world" has really got a hold of me. Especially breeding.

I too, am tight for space, so for now it's just the 120G and the 10G.

Thank you for the kind words. I hope we all continue the growth of this incredible hobby and share our experiences

Fufu

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Wow, nice tank! :D

5. OP
    OP
    F

FufuValued MemberMember

Thank you

First time caring for endlers and neons. I'm really excited for endler babies!

Fufu

6. fbn

fbnWell Known MemberMember

Looks like black bar endlers! Very nice! I used to keep Peacock endlers.

7. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

Nice looking tank, but I think you may be a tad overstocked. Neons need 20G to be fully active, as I understand it...

8. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would agree with ClearEyes, neons are too active for a 10 and too "big" at 1.5-1.8 inches long fully grown (for a schooler in a 10, I'd do nothing over 1 inch long).

9. OP
    OP
    F

FufuValued MemberMember

What else could I put with endlers in a 10G?

Fufu

10. Anders247

Ember tetras or chili rasboras would work, as would celestial pearl danios.
    Only do one type, not 2 or all 3. You need at least 6 of one species since they are a schooling fish.

11. OP
    OP
    F

FufuValued MemberMember

Thank you. All three species look great! I'll just see if my LFS can trade my neons for one of the 3

Fufu

12. Anders247

OK, sounds good.

13. OP
    OP
    F

FufuValued MemberMember

I was told celestial pearl danios were maybe just too big for a 10G.

Is this true?

Also are chilli rasboras rare?

Fufu

14. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

They're gorgeous, and I've wanted them since I heard about them, but I have yet to see them in any of my 4 local LFSs. Don't know how it is in Oz, but you might have to go online ordering for them.

15. OP
    OP
    F

FufuValued MemberMember

I totally agree

I haven't seen them in any of my LFS.

Although my LFS who I use quite often and with whom I have a very good relationship with would be able to get them on special order.

They are gorgeous

Are they easy to breed?

Fufu

16. Anders247

No, they are fine in a 10g. Where'd you hear that?

17. OP
    OP
    F

FufuValued MemberMember

I over heard someone telling my LFS that shouldn't be kept in any less than a 20G. Of course my LFS disagreed.

Out of curiosity I googled nano fish tank species. CPDs were one that popped up and on one of the websites (can't remember which one) it said they could be kept in a 10G but strongly recommend a 20G

I'm not too sure what to do.

They are great too

Fufu

18. Anders247

Their small size and non-active behavior makes them fine for a 10g.... only 21 mm.

19. OP
    OP
    F

FufuValued MemberMember

Oh ok

Looks like they were wrong then lol

Thank you for the advice

Fufu

20. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

You could add 6 rosy loaches to the tank without a problem, but you will have to order them online. They are awesome little fish that stay at an 1".
    Quick cell phone picture of my rosy loaches.
    2015-08-04 20.09.03.jpg
    They are a copper/gold coloring which doesn't show well in the picture. Getting pictures of them is hard, cause they don't sit still.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice