Aquarium Heaters Question

Wetpets

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess the answer to this question depends on many things but for the average freshwater setup; how important is a heater?

Wetpets

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry, wrong section.

tocandesu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pretty important. Heaters keep the temperature of the water consistent to prevent shock.

THEREALTOLMO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Depends on what fish u are keeping and where you live.
I live in Hong Kong and I need a heater during the winter, where temperatures are at 15 degrees Celsius.
If you are keeping goldfish though, heaters aren't necessary important, because they can thrive at lower temperatures than most tropical fish. Just keep the average temperature at around 22 C
I mostly keep tropical fish such as Angelfish and tetras, so I keep The tank temperature at 27C all year round.

Wetpets

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The reason I asked was to point out that in general the appropriate heater is important but may not be necessary in every setup. If your home is climate controlled, you shouldn't experience temperature fluctuations that cause your tank water to rise and fall to dangerous levels. Of course fish species are also a determining factor. Heaters have been on the aquarium must have list for so long that people assume it's necessary but it may not be. Do some research and possibly save a few bucks to buy more fish.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it depends on where you are and what type of fish you have. if you live in a place where its always warm then you don't really need one but if you are in a area where it can get really cold during certain times of the year then you do need one

Kaelico

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The heater in my betta tank is never actually on because the temperature here and at this time of year is actually perfect for his aquarium. But I know I'll need it when it gets colder or if the temp starts fluctuating a lot. Because of this, I consider a heater a necessity to have but I don't think it's necessary to use all the time. I would still always recommend people get one. I even have a heater for all my goldfish tanks just in case. I've had to use them once or twice.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kaelico said:
The heater in my betta tank is never actually on because the temperature here and at this time of year is actually perfect for his aquarium. But I know I'll need it when it gets colder or if the temp starts fluctuating a lot. Because of this, I consider a heater a necessity to have but I don't think it's necessary to use all the time. I would still always recommend people get one. I even have a heater for all my goldfish tanks just in case. I've had to use them once or twice.
that's true its always a good idea to have a heater just in case. I have to have a heater for winters because its in the negatives here during that time of year

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads