Aquarium Heater Question

1. matt 63

matt 63 Valued Member Member

Hey I was wondering if a eheim jager 200 watt heater is to much for a 54 gallon corner tank ? The heater I have now is a whisper for 55 gallon tank and it doesn't keep the water regulated very well and the water gets pretty cool sometimes which isn't good for my African cichlids, so I thought I might need something bigger so I got this, but didn't realize it was recommended for tanks that are 79 - 106 gallons cause I was in a hurry. So will this be bad for my tank?

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I can't see it being a problem. Just calibrate it and keep a close eye on it over several days to make sure it is holding the correct temp and you should be fine.

3. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Heater placement is also important. I keep my heaters very close to the intake of the filters for better dispersion of heated water.

There have been bad reviews recently on those heaters. I went with Aqueon Pro heaters.

4. OP
    OP
    matt 63

matt 63 Valued Member Member

Ok
    Ok i will do that, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry the fish lol thank you

5. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

As long as it is adjustable and set to the right temp that shouldn't happen. :)

6. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

I've used a 200w heater in a 10 gallon before, I just turned it all the way down. In my opinion, Aqueon pro heaters are grossly overprice (especially in store). I've always used Aquatop heaters and I've never had a problem.