10 Gallon Tank Aquarium has been running for 3 weeks/ Cloudy Aquarium Water

alven

The water in my tank isn't exactly clear right now. There's kind of a mist to it. It's not heavily misty but still misty. What does this mean? I was researching and I saw that cloudy aquarium water is a sign of the heterotrophic bacteria not that's formed due to decomposing fish food not the beneficial bacteria but I'm not sure. Is this normal?

**Also the last time I did a water change was 1 week ago when I still had fish. It was 50%

Are you doing a fish in cycle, fishless cycle or was your tank cycled and you had a sudden ammonia or nitrite spike?: ---> I am doing a fishless cycle.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?: -----> 10 gallon.
What type of water are you using in your tank? (tap, well, RO/DI, other):---> Tap
When did you start cycling the tank?: -----> I'm kind of half-cycling at the moment until I get my other materials, but I put some fish food in the empty tank 2 days ago.
What type of filtration are you running on this tank? (sponge, HOB, canister, other): ---> HoB Power Filter (90 GPH)
If canister or HOB list all the media you are running in it. (manufactured cartridges, sponge, etc.): ------> Activated Carbon in my cartridge
Do you have good water agitation/surface movement?: -----> Yes. I have an aerator.
What is the water temperature?: ----> Always between 76 to 80 degrees F.

If fish in cycling
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts):
How often do you feed them and how much?:
Are they showing signs of distress? (fish hiding, staying at the top, looking pale, torn fins, etc):
Do you have live plants in the tank?:
If so are they healthy and actively growing?:

Products used while cycling
If this is a fishless cycle what ammonia source are you using? (fish food, Dr Tim’s ammonia, other): -------> As or right now, fish food. Very soon I'll be using Dr.Tims or Fritz ammonia.
If adding liquid ammonia how often do you dose ammonia in your tank and in what quantity? (1ppm, 2ppm etc.):
If using fish food as your ammonia source how much are you adding and how often?: A pinch. Just 2 days ago,
Are you using a dechlorinater and if so, which one?: ----->API Stress Coat.
Are you using bottled bacteria and if so, which one?: ------>No. I don't plan on using it at all.
Did you add seeded media from a previously cycled tank?: -----> No.
What other products/chemicals are you using? (list them all): -----> API Stress Coat is all.

Testing and cycling process
What was your knowledge of the nitrogen cycle before beginning to cycle your tank? (none, beginner, intermediate (please explain), advanced): I would say in between intermediate and advanced. -------> I understand that fish waste is broken down into Ammonia then that ammonia is eaten by nitroso monas then the byproduct of that would be Nitrites. When nitrites appear they're eaten by a bacteria called nitrobacter which then produces Nitrates.
What do you use to test the water? (API liquid, test strips, other): ----> API Master Test Kit soon.
Did you test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH, if so post the results below?:-----> Not yet.
Have you done any water changes and if so, when?: -----> 1 week ago 50% WC.
How much water did you change?: 50%
Did you vacuum the substrate?: ----> No.
Did you clean your filter, filter media, decorations and/or glass?: -----> No.
If using disposable cartridges have you replaced one recently?: -----> No.

*Parameters - Very Important
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”. ----> I'm getting my testing kit soon.
Tank water: N/A
Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A

Tap water: N/A
Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A

Explain your cycling problem in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the problem leading up to now)
----> The very first thing you read above. My aquarium is misty and has been running for 3 weeks.

AggressiveAquatics

It could just be a bacterial bloom. Although you really want to get a test kit because you can’t know when your tank is done cycling without one

Upvote 0

alven

It could just be a bacterial bloom. Although you really want to get a test kit because you can’t know when your tank is done cycling without one
Yeah I'm getting one soon.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Yeah I'm getting one soon.
Also the last time I did a water change was 1 week ago when I still had fish.
OK you are doing a fishless cycle right now but the statement above has me confused. Did you have fish in this tank at one point? If so, how long were they in there? I am trying to understand just how long ago you actually started this tank.

It is going to be difficult for me to help without some kind of numbers. Meaning when this tank was first set up, pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate numbers. Cloudy water can be caused by lots of things and are not really a sign of any specific thing. The cloudy water can come and go during the cycling process.

Upvote 0

alven

{quote] Also the last time I did a water change was 1 week ago when I still had fish.
OK you are doing a fishless cycle right now but the statement above has me confused. Did you have fish in this tank at one point? If so, how long were they in there? I am trying to understand just how long ago you actually started this tank.

It is going to be difficult for me to help without some kind of numbers. Meaning when this tank was first set up, pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate numbers. Cloudy water can be caused by lots of things and are not really a sign of any specific thing. The cloudy water can come and go during the cycling process.
[/QUOTE]
Oh. I returned my fish about 1 week ago but had them up until around the 14th of April. I had them for 5 days prior to that.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Oh. I returned my fish about 1 week ago but had them up until around the 14th of April. I had them for 5 days prior to that.
Alright then. It has been less than 3 weeks since you started this cycle. The fish were providing ammonia for the first 5 days. Have you been adding a pinch of food daily since then?

I have to be totally honest. The tank will cycle without testing but neither you nor I can know where you are in the cycle. What I would do in this case is add a very small pinch of fish food every third day. When I say small pinch I mean just 2 or 3 flakes crushed up. To hopefully keep your pH from crashing change out 25% of the water once a week. Do this for another month and the tank should be cycled but as I said, without the numbers we can't know for sure.

You mentioned getting liquid ammonia. Again without being able to test the water you will just be shooting in the dark as to how much to add. Without being able to test I will recommend you stick to the fish food method of feeding. You can easily overwhelm this tank by adding too much ammonia. Without testing you won't know when to add more or if you have already added too much.

Upvote 0

alven

Alright then. It has been less than 3 weeks since you started this cycle. The fish were providing ammonia for the first 5 days. Have you been adding a pinch of food daily since then?

I have to be totally honest. The tank will cycle without testing but neither you nor I can know where you are in the cycle. What I would do in this case is add a very small pinch of fish food every third day. When I say small pinch I mean just 2 or 3 flakes crushed up. To hopefully keep your pH from crashing change out 25% of the water once a week. Do this for another month and the tank should be cycled but as I said, without the numbers we can't know for sure.

You mentioned getting liquid ammonia. Again without being able to test the water you will just be shooting in the dark as to how much to add. Without being able to test I will recommend you stick to the fish food method of feeding. You can easily overwhelm this tank by adding too much ammonia. Without testing you won't know when to add more or if you have already added too much.
Yes, I understand that. For now I'll be doing fish food and what you said above until I get my materials. The good thing is that I have all the time in the world because I have no fish.

**Also I'm using bloodworms?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Yes, I understand that. For now I'll be doing fish food and what you said above until I get my materials. The good thing is that I have all the time in the world because I have no fish.

**Also I'm using bloodworms?
Blood worms may work but if I were doing this I would use flakes.
Moved from another persons thread :)

Wait I'm confused. I though seeing 0 ammonia was good? Or do you mean if he sees 0 ammonia when his nitrites are not 0 then add more ammonia?
Cycling a tank simply means we are growing ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria. Once we have grown enough of each we will get a constant reading of zero. When fishless cycling we are mimicking what will happen once fish are added so we have to add ammonia. In your case you are adding fish food as the ammonia source.

When fish are added to the tank the fish will constantly add ammonia. The ammonia eating bacteria will produce nitrites. The nitrite eating bacteria will remove them about as quickly as they are being produced. Both ammonia and nitrites will still be there but there will be enough bacteria to keep the reading for both down to zero.

Upvote 0

alven

Blood worms may work but if I were doing this I would use flakes.
Moved from another persons thread :)

Cycling a tank simply means we are growing ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria. Once we have grown enough of each we will get a constant reading of zero. When fishless cycling we are mimicking what will happen once fish are added so we have to add ammonia. In your case you are adding fish food as the ammonia source.

When fish are added to the tank the fish will constantly add ammonia. The ammonia eating bacteria will produce nitrites. The nitrite eating bacteria will remove them about as quickly as they are being produced. Both ammonia and nitrites will still be there but there will be enough bacteria to keep the reading for both down to zero.
I understand that we are mimicking but on the other thread you said if he reads 0ppm "go ahead and get it back up to 2ppm" ----> Would someone have to do that if their nitrites read > 0

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I understand that we are mimicking but on the other thread you said if he reads 0ppm "go ahead and get it back up to 2ppm" ----> Would someone have to do that if their nitrites read > 0
We want to continue adding ammonia until we are sure the cycle is complete. I always recommend adding ammonia at least one more time sometime even twice more even after the nitrites drop to zero. This is a test to make sure the cycle is done. You will find that I always try to err on the side of caution and won't say a cycle is done and the tank is ready for fish until I am sure it is fully cycled.

Upvote 0

alven

We want to continue adding ammonia until we are sure the cycle is complete. I always recommend adding ammonia at least one more time sometime even twice more even after the nitrites drop to zero. This is a test to make sure the cycle is done. You will find that I always try to err on the side of caution and won't say a cycle is done and the tank is ready for fish until I am sure it is fully cycled.
If we keep on adding ammonia then how will we know when the cycle is done?

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

We will know the cycle is done when the Ammonia turns into Nitrites and when those turn into Nitrates. When you have 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and an X (anything higher then 5 should be the best IMO to make sure your colony of BB is strong) amount of Nitrates. 0Ammonia 0Nitrites 5Nitratres or higher or (really any amount of nitrates)

Upvote 0

alven

We will know the cycle is done when the Ammonia turns into Nitrites and when those turn into Nitrates. When you have 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and an X (anything higher then 5 should be the best IMO to make sure your colony of BB is strong) amount of Nitrates. 0Ammonia 0Nitrites 5Nitratres or higher or (really any amount of nitrates)
Well yeah I know that. I'm just confused on something mattgirl said.

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

Well yeah I know that. I'm just confused on something mattgirl said.
Oh ok I get it now. I think what mattgirl means to say is basically what I described. If your nitrites are at 0 and you add more Ammonia, the test to see if your cycle is complete is that if your ammonia (that you add) gets transferred, into nitrites which turns into nitrates. You'll know if its done if you see nitrates and no Nitrites. Remember the ammonia you are adding in is a test and is sort of a placement holder for actual fish. (correct me if I'm wrong mattgirl)

Upvote 0

alven

Oh ok I get it now. I think what mattgirl means to say is basically what I described. If your nitrites are at 0 and you add more Ammonia, the test to see if your cycle is complete is that if your ammonia (that you add) gets transferred, into nitrites which turns into nitrates (correct me if I'm wrong mattgirl)
Okay yes, but how does that determine if the cycle is complete? It's normal for ammonia to be converted into nitrite but shouldn't it happen fast? So in essence if I want to test the completion of my cycle, I will add ammonia and if it and nitrites are 0ppm before the next 24 hours, it's complete?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Bruinfishkeeper1 explained it very well.

In your case you have a constant supply of ammonia in your tank much like fish would be adding because you are using fish food for your ammonia source. When using liquid ammonia we are adding a full days worth all at the same time and just once a day.

When we are sure the days worth of ammonia we have added has processed through to nitrates within 24 hours we will know the cycle is done. At that point we will see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates.

Upvote 0

alven

oH I get it now, thanks.
Bruinfishkeeper1 explained it very well.

In your case you have a constant supply of ammonia in your tank much like fish would be adding because you are using fish food for your ammonia source. When using liquid ammonia we are adding a full days worth all at the same time and just once a day.

When we are sure the days worth of ammonia we have added has processed through to nitrates within 24 hours we will know the cycle is done. At that point we will see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates.
Also when cycling how frequently should one be testing?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
jpm995
Replies
Views
HKsai
Replies