Aquarium Hairballs

Discussion in 'Cats' started by JimSinclair, Apr 22, 2019.

1. JimSinclairValued MemberMember

Tonight, for the second time this month, I saw what I initially feared was a dead fish in my 75-gallon aquarium, only to find when I got a closer look while removing it that it was in fact a hairball. Not one that's formed inside a cat and been thrown up. Just a loose clump of shed cat fur floating in the water or stuck to the filter intake.

The tank is covered with screening, but there are gaps around the filters. And cats like to perch on top of the tank cover.

Does anyone else with both fish and cats get hairballs in their fish tanks?

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I have a glass lid. If I let it slid back they do try to catch fish but have never noticed hair balls.

3. JimSinclairValued MemberMember

I found another hairball sticking to the same filter in the same tank tonight. My longish-haired Maine Coon Cat mix likes to perch on top of that filter box. Is cat hair dangerous to the fish?

4. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't think hair would be dangerous to fish or you would hear a lot about it.

5. JimSinclairValued MemberMember

Well, how often do you hear about hairballs in aquariums In the first place?

6. midnaWell Known MemberMember

i have cat fur in all my tanks. it never clumps together and forms balls but it's still annoying to see strands of cat hair stuck to my plants or floating around. i don't think it's harmful but you probably don't want your fish eating it

7. JenCWell Known MemberMember

I also find a lot of cat hair in my tanks but not clumped together, just free floating and in strands. My tanks have lids but cat hair just gets everywhere - my tanks, my food, anywhere and everywhere.

I don't think it's dangerous but I try to minimize and remove it when I can.