Aquarium Glass Thickness

alper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Guys I have just bought an aquarium. Its 40cmx40cmx30cm(h) and it has 4 mm glass thickness. Can we say that is it safe?

Stryphe89

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For that size tank, I'd say 1.5" is really safe. Most tanks that size use around 1/8" glass, I believe.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also, if you're not certain, and wish to be 100% absolutely sure, do a water test before you fill it. Simple as that. And also especially pay very close attention to the sealed/caulked corners! I had a 15L once, and near the top, which was in a typical, non-visible spot, where the black trim is on the right side, actually had less than 1/4 mm UNSEALED crack in the glass/breach in the top, that was barely being held together by the tank's black trim, and which I only discovered when I did a water change! It wasn't very wide, but it was enougn to have some significant dripping out from the right side in the tiny tiny tiny little crack, which was only about half of the thickness of a mechanical pencil lead! SUCKED! Had to re-seal it with some silicone.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are concerned, you can reseal it. If I were concerned I would never be able to rest comfortably always thinking the tank was going to leak, regardless of what others say. I need to say, lately I have become a bit paranoid, it's something I'm working on but I feel the need to say this before I give too much advice. Maybe I should put it in my tagline. :wideyed:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom