1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Aquarium glass Crack

1. ikkoo

ikkoo Valued Member Member

My friend gave me a 50 gallon tank. I spotted a Crack on the top side of the aquarium. If I fill the water around 60 to 70 percent, will the pressure cause it to Crack more? What can I do to fix that without replace the glass panel or the whole aquarium? I'm on a tight budget. (I'm not sure whether it leak or not. Haven tired leak test yet. )

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

I am in no way an expert but if I were you I would not use the tank. Even if it did hold water I would think that the pressure would crack it more.. 50 gallons of water on your floor is a lot.

Advertisement

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

This is like repairing a car tire. The repair may last many years or could blow out next week.

1. Remove all the sealer around the brake in the glass.

2. Remove that brace. Make sure the glass is completely clean.

3. Go to a glass shop and get a piece of glass that is the same kind and thickness as the tanks glass. Have them cut the piece an inch larger than the edge of the cracked glass.

4. Glue the glass patch in place with a high quality aquarium sealant.

5. Let the sealant completely cure.

6. Fill and enjoy.

Good luck, and best wishes.

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    ikkoo

If I leave it alone and fill up with water below the crack will it build up pressure to Crack even more? It's pretty hard to find glass shops Singapore around my area.

Advertisement

5. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I would say do that at your own risk. That looks like a pretty descent crack to me. I would test it outside for awhile, and then I still don't know if I would want it in my home. 50 gallons is a lot of water. Especially if it ends up on your floor.

I would feel safer if the entire side was replaced with new glass.

6. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't use it at all in it's present state, unless you set up a habitat for mini crabs or newts. They require land and don't require the tank to be filled to the top with water. That may work, and mini crabs are awesome.

7. SW5

SW5 Well Known Member Member

If I were to fill that tank any amount, I would certainly do what Thunder_o_b suggested, or just replace the entire panel, a crack in glass that will be under stress is risky.

8. s

sbdzx Valued Member Member

Maybe if you knew what brand of tank it is/the manufacturer, you could find out if there was any sort of warranty on it. My 29 gal. aqueon tank says it has a 5 year warranty, and the sticker said aqueon tanks 56 gal. and up have a lifetime warranty. Whatever you do, good luck.

9. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Do not put water in this tank un-repaired.

You could substitute plexiglass for the glass patch.

10. OP
    OP
    ikkoo

I'll try to repair it. My first time! BTW patch the glass inside of the tank or outside or both?

11. Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della Rocca Valued Member Member

considering i work with glass and know alot about it is do not use it. the added pressure will surly crack it. i would suggest replacing the enire panel. if u are to patch it do it and have the peace cut 1 inch smaller and pur it inside thebtank and make sure u put the sealnt over the crack. i still not recommend that due to the nature the pressure is still there thus the stress is there. its a ticking time bomb

12. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

If it were acrylic i'd say patch it. Since it is glass it needs a new pane. If the cracked side is going to be on the back you could replace it with wood and seal like in those youtube wooden builds.

13. OP
    OP
    ikkoo

I guess I will try to patch it first. Maybe later I will try and find another tank within my budget.
    I removed the exposed silicon on both side but the top panel won't came off.

There is a piece of glass below the panel

Attached Files:

14. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

honestly, its an easy patch if you only want it to be functional. i suggest obtaining 2 small piece of glass and some silicone. since it is at the very top, it isnt a problem. just take off all silicone of the tank. then silicone the 2 small pieces to patch it up. and re-silicone the whole tank. this would allow the tank to be supported by 2 extra pieces and the silicone will make it water proof. since the crack isnt a crack that will expand because it already ended from one crack to the other side.

do not use acrylic on glass. as you will find out that they will not bond together.

15. OP
    OP
    ikkoo

Thanks people! I bought another tank with stand! It's quite cheap but worth it.