Aquarium fix or not

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just went to look over a 150 gallon Aquarium that someone was selling and have this question.

Is it possible to put a cross-brace on this tank since it does not have one? I told the person about it and he stated there never was one. I even noticed there was'nt one on the bottom of the tank either. His answer was that it was an extremely old tank(70's) that his dad had and gave it to him.

Now I know 1 thing for sure,back in the early eighties every tank that I had, had cross-braces.

Would it be possible to add cross braces to this or not?? The last thing I need a flood, as I believe the water pressure would blow the tank apart sooner or later.

Thanks
John

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't know where your located but www.glasscages.com in Tennessee USA makes aquariums . On the left side of the home page is a link for frames maybe you could get braces also.
Carol

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Don't know where your located but  www.glasscages.com in Tennessee USA makes aquariums . On the left side of the  home page is a link for frames maybe you could get braces also.
Carol
Carol let me tell ya something. YOUR AMAZING.. Thank You Very Much

John

I'll check that site out right now, BTW I'm in Pa.

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Don't know where your located but  www.glasscages.com in Tennessee USA makes aquariums . On the left side of the  home page is a link for frames maybe you could get braces also.
Carol
Nope no braces there. I checked out perfecto and they have frames for the top. Only problem is there only 5 feet and I need 6 feet. I was also thinking about just building my own Canopie but not sure yet.

Thanks
John

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with a 110 I bought with a leak.  We re-sealed the tank, let it set for a week with water in it, and then added the fish.  After about 4 days it was leaking again.  I would not doubt it's because it doesn't have a brace.  Anyhoo, here is a response I got a while back to try and fix the problem:

wrenchpuler said:
Hey Gunnie,

I'm not to good on the puter, but I'll try.   You need to get some 1X6, cut the front and back pieces the lenghth of the tank plus 1 1/2"  it's best to take off the band but it will work if you don't.  Then cut the ends the same measurments as the width of the tank.  Now you have a box.  Use screws to put it together. It works best if you don't tighten the screws all the way up on one side until it's on the tank.   Next you need some 2X2's, cut them to the same length as the ends of the 1X6, measure down 3" from the top of the 1X6 box and attach the 2X2 's on the inside of the front and back peices (longest). We use at least 5 on a 55 gal.  Be sure to put one on each end to help hold it up,
IMO more is better.  Now you have it all together, turn it upside down so you have aproximately 3" holding the band or top of the tank, tighten the screws, and your tank will no longer bow.  You can set you lights down inside the band.  All you need to do is add water.  

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Jake will talk to you later about the fish.

Later,
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By the way ewolfe that carol isn't me, it's another friend of mine and Gunnies and she does quite a bit of tank repair.
When I posted that link I just wondered if the frames Glasscages had has a brace across them and if you could just take the top rim off and replace it with a whole new rim.
Carol

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
By the way ewolfe that carol isn't me, it's another friend of mine and Gunnies and she does quite a bit of tank repair.
When I posted that link I just wondered if the frames Glasscages had has a brace across them and if you could just take the top rim off and replace it with a whole new rim.
Carol
Carol, I'll have to check it out again.. That would be the easiest way,I think, to just replace the entire top rim and I'm sure if they have the frame that the braces are there also. It was quite late last night when I was checking out the site. So I'll check it out once more and let ya know.

John

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
OK After many hours of searching I give up. I contacted glasscages via email and the largest they have is 36 x 18 frames. So for some reason I'm checking in my browser under favorites and found a site in my own state(Pa.) a 2 hour drive and have decided on just buying a new one. 120 gallon xh(extra high 60x18x26. Its the biggest tank that I can fit in my wifes jeep. Only if she did'nt trade in the van. BTW it's a perfecto outlet in Lancaster called The Pet Place. It's going to cost $270 just for the tank $44 for the glass canopy and $68 for the 5 foot light. I can't wait to see this place. Over 11,000 square feet of fish tanks and there fish dept.. I wish I knew of this place when I was looking for a hood and light for my 55 gallon, the darn price is $30 cheaper then what I paid at Petco or Petsmart,can't remember.

They have 6 marine biologists on site to answer any questions along with trained technicians to help in any matter. Well the 1st thing I'll do is ask them how can I get a 72 inch long tank into a 60 inch long jeep opening. See if they can answer that one,lol.

The only thing I need to do now is make my cabinet, just gotta build the frame, I already have 2 sets of kitchen cabinets ready to fit into it, and get a cannister filter. I'm thinking about a Filstar XP3, good enough for tanks up to 175 gallons.

While I'm there I'm going to see if they have any of that Bio- Spira cause knowing me I'll be coming back with fishies.

John

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom