Aquarium fan for cooling off the tank

toeknee

Hello all. It's been a hot summer and my tank has been consistently sitting above 85 degrees which is way too hot for my stocking. A little heatwave here and there is no problem for most fish but weeks and weeks of above recommended temps is definitely no good.

I've never had an aquarium fan because I just didn't think they would make much of a difference. I finally bought this cheap aquarium fan on amazon (link below) and holy smokes what a difference it makes. First of all the clip on this particular model only fits rimless tanks and obviously you can't have a lid on the tank for a fan to have any effects. I just attached the fan to the side of my tank with some strong velcro strips I attached to the tank since I don't have a rimless tank.

12 hours after hooking up the fan so it's blowing across the surface of the water, the temperature dropped about 8-10 degrees! It went from right around 86 to right around 76-78 where I want it to be. I really didn't think that much of a difference would be made, clearly I was wrong. My poor peppered corys were just lying around not moving much for weeks because of the heat. Now that temperatures are back down they're active and zipping all over again. So if anyone is battling high summer temperatures in their tank get yourself a fan. Any old fan will probably do but here's the one I'm using. It has two speeds, it's relatively quite but of course a fan will be making some noise no matter what. Amazon.com: DaToo Aquarium Chiller Fish Tank Fan Aquarium Cooling Fan, 1 Yr Warranty: Pet Supplies

Crimson_687

You can also use ice bags for cooling. Fans work great tho!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Patman0519
Replies
Views
Rojer Ramjet
Replies
Views
Joshaeus
Replies