Aquarium drained itself but now it’s holding water…

Buzzdar
So I bought a 40 breeder to put outside over the summer and farm plants. Just got around to setting it up yesterday and was having a bit of trouble leveling it. It’s in the yard on concrete blocks with a piece of plywood. I had it pretty level and filled it up half way. This morning I came out to an empty aquarium. No noticeable water on the wood or blocks so it must’ve drained in the night. I refilled it and I swear the water level dropped over a few hours again with no noticeable leaks or water running down the stand. I broke it down and moved it onto the patio to test again so it’s definitely level now. It’s been 5 hours and it seems to be holding water. Obviously while it’s outside the water draining isn’t a huge issue so long as my plants and fish aren’t harmed though it drained completely so that is concerning. Anyways I had planned to move this inside after summer so now I’m not sure what to do. I have silicone but can’t pinpoint the leak and currently I don’t see one. Also it’s under warranty currently. Could a slightly unlevel (<1/16”) surface have caused this and what should I do moving forward?

Advertisement
Seasoldier
OK, that's weird, was it in full sun / what's your outside temperature? maybe evaporation? Do you have any animals that could be using it as a drinking bowl? If it is a leak try standing it on some absorbent paper, that may show you roughly where the leak is.

Buzzdar
OK, that's weird, was it in full sun / what's your outside temperature? maybe evaporation? Do you have any animals that could be using it as a drinking bowl? If it is a leak try standing it on some absorbent paper, that may show you roughly where the leak is.
It was over night, temps about 50. Very windy this am but aquarium half full at 20 gallon I doubt evap. You think if it holds for 48 hours it should be okay?

Advertisement
Flyfisha
You didn’t happen to leave the garden hose in the tank did you Buzzdar? A back siphon may explain what happened.

Rcslade124
Flyfisha has my guess wind blew water into hose causing it to drain. The full syphon and drained. If no hose was in the tank I would make it sit full for week at minimum

AP1
Did you have a hob running? If it drained mostly but not completely could it have been a spillover from the hob?

Buzzdar
You didn’t happen to leave the garden hose in the tank did you Buzzdar? A back siphon may explain what happened.
Okay yes but it was going up over the fence and the tank top is about half the fence height. Do you think that’s possible? Also I had the hose out of the water but now I can’t remember it may have slumped in. This may very well somehow be what happened!

Flyfisha
Yes a siphon can go up many feet above the intake over a house even as long as the discharge is slightly lower than the intake.

If you are in any doubt the paper towel leaf overnight is a good trick.

Buzzdar
Yes a siphon can go up many feet above the intake over a house even as long as the discharge is slightly lower than the intake.

If you are in any doubt the paper towel leaf overnight is a good trick.
Eureka! I would’ve never completely trusted this tank again but the water level hasn’t budged so I think we’re good to go. Big brain time over here
Hyped for summer grow out tank!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Derek88242
  • Question