Aquarium Decorations

1. Jake the Fish Member Member

When I get my new tank, I am going to decorate it but I don't know what with. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to put in and make it look good? I have a THR I can put in and I think I am getting an ornament for Christmas.

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Anything you want, really... it's such a personal decision. Live plants or fake? Natural look or not? Certain color fish may look good against different backgrounds.

Mine has blue gravel because I thought it was pretty. I have fake plants and fake decorations from petsmart, including a little house that has bubbles coming from the chimney - my son picked it out.

I don't have a background because we have our tank on a counter between 2 rooms, so you can look into it from either side. A great background idea someone else had was to use wrapping paper taped on the outside - that way you can change it as you wish.

Just make sure anything you use is aquarium safe.

3. Jake the Fish Member Member

I was thinking of maybe getting some driftwood but I am not sure if I should. I also was wondering if sand was alright to put in a new tank or should I just use my gravel in my current tank for an almost instant cycle?

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

sand is fine. You can put the gravel into a new pantyhose and stick that in the tank - that way, after your new tank is seeded, you can throw it out.

driftwood is fine. it has to be cured. there are instructions on this website on how to do it. Also, it lowers pH, and tannins can tint your water - both things to consider. :)

seashells and coral will raise pH, by the way...

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Jake, I don't remember if you are upgrading or adding a new tank. Either way, if you haven't already done so, it's a good idea to put extra filter media in your current tank now so that it'll start seeding. :)

6. Jake the Fish Member Member

Well, I am going to get a new tank probably in January. I will not be using my old tank once I have the new tank ready. Also, could I put java moss on driftwood?

7. erk419 Member Member

I prefer an all natural look rocks real plants etc. However like mentioned before it really up to you usually how you choose to decorate your tank shows the kind of person you are

8. Jake the Fish Member Member

How long do I need to leave the gravel in?

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jake. Leave the gravel that you place into "never seen soap" nylons in your new tank for at least a month. Yes, you can tie java moss onto driftwood, no problem.
    Ken

10. Jake the Fish Member Member

Also, how do you clean sand in an aquarium? Do you just use a siphon like when you clean gravel?

11. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I've never has a sand substrate, but from what I've read on this forum, you hold the vac just above the sand in order to vac the debris, but leave the sand in place.

Also apparently posionous gas pockets can form in the sand so it is recommended to stir your sand every week of two. (Not sure about the frequency of stirring the sand, so maybe someone will chime in.)

12. Jake the Fish Member Member

When I put the gravel in do I have to wait a month before I put the Fish in or can I put them in straight away? I will also put in my THR, Filter Media and ceramic noodles.

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jake. Any time that you "seed" a new tank by using media/gravel/ornaments from an established tank, you can add fish right away. The more seeded material you can use the better. However, don't take away so much from the established tank that it throws it into a mini cycle. If it's a new tank with new fish then I suggest adding a few (3 or 4) fish to begin with, wait 2 weeks before adding any additional fish. Keep an eye on your readings, stock slowly and you should be fine. However, you should always be prepared for water changes just in case. You never know!

Ornaments. I always like to have something porous in my tanks. I highly recommend terracotta pots / ornaments that you may be able to find. They are great for collecting good bacteria to help maintain the cycle. Don't worry about cleaning them, let them get that "bottom of the river look" as I like to call it.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
    Ken

14. Jake the Fish Member Member

Well I will be getting an ornament or 2 for Christmas :). Also, Texas Holey Rocks are porous aswell.

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

I couldn't think of what THR meant. I think that will be a great addition to your tank along with your new ornaments from :;santaclaus.
    I'll be looking forward to photos of everything once you get the ball rolling.
    Ken:animal0028:

16. Jake the Fish Member Member

Thanks for all your help, Ken.

17. kacie Member Member

I'm not sure biut won't Taxas Holey rock raise the ph? Not a good idea for rams. I would go with pol filter sand (cheap and easy to rinse), lots of driftwood (tie on the java moss and java ferns and anubias), get a nice solid background and it will be beautiful!!!

18. David C Well Known Member Member

19. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Great link DavidC! Thanks!
    Ken

20. Jake the Fish Member Member

That link you gave me Dave was very helpful. :)