aquarium decor

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
hello folks, I read here a long time ago that someone was using little hiding caves that used suction cups to attach to the side of the tank. I brought home another betta few days ago. he is a marroon and blue crown tail, named Buzz. He lives in my divided 10 gallon with my single remaining molly, Dora, and my one-eyed cory cat, Uno. Anyway, I would like a suction cup cave in his tank in order to give him a good place to hide that I can put close to the surface. Right now, he keeps hiding by the heater. I would like to give him a better place to hide. I'll get pics out when I'm sure that He's going to be okay.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the caves with suction cups, but all my bettas love to hide in the leaves of any plants in their tanks, especially those that float on the surface. I think mine even sleep on their leaves at least occasionally. It is so much fun to find them sleeping right under the aquarium lid when I open it to feed them.

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Timesdragonfly said:
hello folks, I read here a long time ago that someone was using little hiding caves that used suction cups to attach to the side of the tank. I brought home another betta few days ago. he is a marroon and blue crown tail, named Buzz. He lives in my divided 10 gallon with my single remaining molly, Dora, and my one-eyed cory cat, Uno. Anyway, I would like a suction cup cave in his tank in order to give him a good place to hide that I can put close to the surface. Right now, he keeps hiding by the heater. I would like to give him a better place to hide. I'll get pics out when I'm sure that He's going to be okay.
I've not heard of those before.. should you find them, please let us know where. It sounds very interesting and like something we'd like to try with our bettas.. Maybe he'd like one of those long-tentacled anemones from the DFS site? I hear that some Bettas like to sleep on those.

Your post got me searching and I found this: - is this what you're looking for?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Your post got me searching and I found this: - is this what you're looking for?
Those are really cool! Natalie

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Those caves are so neat - cheap too. Wonder if they are smooth or rough textured surfaces?

I took Neptune's anemone out cuz it was getting this slimy creepy icky stuff on it. Nothing else in the tank had it on. I cleaned it and put it back and in 2 days, it had it again, so I removed it. I ordered a long tentacled one from F&S and that order was here in 24 hours - and the long ones look in the catalogue as though they stand up, however they are much softer than the short one and all bent over, I am putting it into the tank next time I do a water change, and am hoping it will sway around in the current - wouldn't that be awesome?? it will be a bummer if it just lays flat in the water. Oh ya, the tips glow in the dark also, when the light is off!!

Neptune likes to go inbetween the tentacles, sleep on top of them. Without it, he either lays in the cave under his rock or on top of a broad leafed plant. Nothing moves when they sleep, it is the neatest thing!! Like a fairtale thing to me!!

My husband told me he boughtneptune a bridge while in the city - so that will be here Friday night - I am anxious to see how he likes that. I think it was Natalie who said how much her fish loved his bridge. So many of these things fish can hide in have sharp parts inside the hole the fish can go into - you have to really check them out well.

All of this is like Extreme Makeover - Aquatic edition!!! Val

All this talk of tank decorating --- since I was playing in the tank anyway, I decided tp put in the tall anemone. It does stand straight up, and moves with the water, it looks like angel hair pasta ( only red - LOL).

While Neptune is curious, I am not sure it will be the same as the small one. The small one was almost like flowers, meaning he could sit inside the tentacles. Unless he decided he wanted to get swim through this one - and it is pretty dense), it will just be something of interest . If that is the case, I will eventually put the small one back. (Actually, I like the small one better - it is more interesting)

So if you want one he can sleep in, don't waste your money on the tall one.

Val
Here is pics of each.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
voiceless_kat said:
All this talk of tank decorating --- since I was playing in the tank anyway, I decided tp put in the tall anemone. It does stand straight up, and moves with the water, it looks like angel hair pasta ( only red - LOL).

While Neptune is curious, I am not sure it will be the same as the small one. The small one was almost like flowers, meaning he could sit inside the tentacles. Unless he decided he wanted to get swim through this one - and it is pretty dense), it will just be something of interest . If that is the case, I will eventually put the small one back. (Actually, I like the small one better - it is more interesting)

So if you want one he can sleep in, don't waste your money on the tall one.

Val
Here is pics of each.
I love both of them.. please let us know how Neptune feels about both of them after a little while.. we can only put 1 in Angel's 5 gallon hex.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
8) I like the looks of the anemone in Neptune's tank. He looks like he is thinking about taking a nap in the first picture. It also looks like he is turning his back in disgust on the taller one. "How do you expect me to sleep in that thing."

Those caves are cool. I might have to get some for my tanks.

Oh, I almost forgot. Welcome to the forum, Buzz!

CherryRose

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ohhhh, I want one of those short tentacle ones. Where did you get that one? Was it from F&S too?

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The first picture was taken a week or so ago when that short anemone was still in the tank. Neptune would lay on top of the tentacles, where it is kind of cupped, and while you can't see it in this picture, there is room between the bases of the 4 different "flower" parts to swin through.

The tall one totally glows at night - kinda funky! - the small one just the tips. I have the tall one in the front/left of the tank opposite end of the bio wheel - but I am thinking when my husband gets Neptune's new bridge home, I might move the tall anemone to the right end of the tank , front, where the water movement will let it sway more. I did see Neptune nip at one of the tentacles.

I bought the small one at Walmart , but they are both in Foster & Smith for $7.99 - yellow, purple or red and the tall one in - white, red or yellow.

(I am thinking it should have been a freebie after almost $200 spent there since Feb. Neptune is a pretty high maintenance fella - and his tank still isn't cycled...LOL.)

I also took out two short plants and put in two new longer ones, and I noticed he has been doing the sleep test on several different leaves. Adorable ( if a fish can be?)

Val

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
voiceless_kat said:
I also took out two short plants and put in two new longer ones, and I noticed he has been doing the sleep test on several different leaves. Adorable ( if a fish can be?)
Val
He definitely can be. Neptune's a great little Betta and your stories of him show he's a character.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
That wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I think it will serve the purpose I wanted. Thank!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Timesdragonfly said:
That wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I think it will serve the purpose I wanted. Thank!
No prob. Please let us know how it works out, looks like something we might try when we can too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom