Aquarium Decor

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Poseidon's Beard, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Poseidon's Beard

Poseidon's Beard New Member Member

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to start an aquarium as a family project with my two sons (1 and 3 yrs). Obviously, I'll be doing all the work for a while, but they'll probably want to help pick out our fish. I'd love to do a biotope like this on a smaller scale (29H).

Is there a good source for wood as seen here, or is that something I would need to gather on my own? I've looked into preparing it and all that, but can't figure out where to get it.

Also, any advise on beginner-type fish that would thrive in this sort of environment without leafy plants would be appreciated. I realize the pictured fish are probably too large for 29 gallons. I'm thinking tetras, corries and platties (because the kids will want bright colors).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

You can collect your own wood if you prepare it properly or you can buy it in your LFS or order it online.

You said you wanted to do a biotope so do you want all the fish to come from the same part of the world?

Here are some stocking options (though the fish don't all come from the same area)
    8 Skirt tetras
    8 Panda cories
    3 Platies
    3 Guppies

Or
    8-10 Cardinal tetras or Rummynose tetras
    8 Sterbai cories or 6 bronze or albino cories
    1 or 2 GBR

Or
    10 Ember tetras
    8-10 kuhli loaches
    1-2 Honey gourami
    1 Clown pleco

3. OP
    OP
    Poseidon's Beard

Thanks for the stocking options! My wife says the loaches freak her out.

I'd love it if all the fish were from the same area, but I don't know how much say I'll get with the kids wanting to choose, so I'm trying to weight our options right now.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

You might want to take a look at this site. It's got some good ideas for biotopes and fish and plants, etc, that could go in them

5. OP
    OP
    Poseidon's Beard

That is a huge help. Thanks! It looks like I have a lot of reading to do. I'm working my way through Fishlore's 500+ page e-book right now.

Regarding the wood, I'm in a big city with lots of LFS so I hope I can find what I need. I've been doing a lot of online research, but I haven't gotten out to the stores yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice