Aquarium Cycling- Help Wanted!

INeedHelpLol

Hello! So I've been cycling this tank for about a few months now and I'm wondering if I am cycled?

i put in the ammonia (2 ppm) the day before yesterday at about 5-6 pm. tested yesterday at 8 30 pm.
The results: 0.25-0.50 ppm ammonia, 5ppm nitrite, high amounts of nitrate (40-80ppm)
and today at 11 35-40 am
The results: no ammonia or nitrite, but high amounts of nitrate.

It didnt fully go down to zero ammonia and nitrites in an exact 24 hours, but it seems it took less than 1.5 days to do so. Would this be considered cycled? Or should I keep doing adding ammonia?

Fisch

You may want to hold off a little longer. The Ammonia seems to convert nicely, but the high Nitrites means that those nitrifying bacteria will need some additional time to grow.

Upvote 0

INeedHelpLol

Noted!

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

You’re soooooo close. Keep dosing the ammonia and get it done!

Upvote 0

INeedHelpLol

10 45 pm: dosed ammonia!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

If your nitrites dropped from 5ppm to zero then I have to think your cycle is done. How long has it been since you've done a partial water change? What is the pH level of both tank and tap? If it has been a while since you've changed any water, change out 50% of it. Once done add enough ammonia to get it up to 2ppm one more time. If both ammonia and nitrites are 0 within 24 hours then yes, this cycle is done.

Upvote 0

INeedHelpLol

I did a 50% wc 3 days ago. I'm about to test the water again right now, will update again

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I did a 50% wc 3 days ago. I'm about to test the water again right now, will update again
I have to think this cycle is done. Once you do your water change to get the nitrates down it should be ready for fish. You may want to add ammonia one more time though to see if the ammonia and nitrites go back down to zero. If they do you can be assured that the cycle is done and can now handle the bio-load of your fish.

I am assuming this tank isn't the one you have listed in your aquarium details. What size (how many gallons) is this tank? What kind of fish are you planning on putting in it? If this cycle will process 3ppm ammonia through to nitrates within 24 hours you should be able to fully stock the tank all at the same time. You should have grown enough bacteria to handle a fairly heavy bio-load.

Upvote 0

INeedHelpLol

OH! I totally forgot to update my aquarium details. Thanks for the reminder! It's a 29 gallon. I have a thread going on about the process. It's going to house tanganyikan cichlids, specifically multies and a pair of julidochromis transcriptus.
They're pretty small fish, so I'm not too worried about the bio load for now.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

OH! I totally forgot to update my aquarium details. Thanks for the reminder! It's a 29 gallon. I have a thread going on about the process. It's going to house tanganyikan cichlids, specifically multies and a pair of julidochromis transcriptus.
They're pretty small fish, so I'm not too worried about the bio load for now.
You are so very welcome. Good size tank and I do think it will be ready for your water pets after the water change to lower the nitrates.

Upvote 0

INeedHelpLol

Boo yeah! I'll be adding ammonia one more time and/or until i can actually get a hold of these fish! I'll also be doing a wc to tone down the huge amt of nitrates. Excited!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
Tanks and Plants
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies