Aquarium Cycled! Now what..

Dasha
I just cycled my first tank - 33 gallon. How many fish can I add and not overwhelm the bio filter?

This is what I'd like to get, is it going to be too much at once? I already have 4 red eye tetras and want to finish the shoal:
1 red eye tetra
2 danios
5 ghost shrimp

sgould
Add 2-3 at a time, then wait a couple of weeks, testing regularly to ensure any spikes are brought under control. Then repeat the process until you have the tank fully stocked.

jsalemi
You may also want to up the number of danios to at least 5, too (you have the room) -- they're also shoaling fish, and are much happier in groups of 5 or more.

Dasha
Oh, this is just phase 1, the final will be:

Common Name Want Inches
Red-Eyed Tetra 5 13.75
Cory 2 5
danios 6 12
Dwarf Gourami 1 3
Otos 2 4
Ghost shrimp 5
Guppy 3 6
TOTAL 24 43.75

I'm overstocked with the guppies so I may not get them if I can be that disciplined.

Sam Livingston
Dropping the guppies would make the tank seem like a good fit. The cory catfish and ghost shrimp will stay at bottom of tank most of the time, and the danios will mostly stay at the top of the tank. The gouramis and otto cats spread out, not sure about the red eyed tetras but my ghost tetras school with my danios, but seems like the fish would have plenty of room and shouldn't be many territorial clashes.

Tazmiche
If I were you i'd leave out the guppies from this tank. I have 6 males, I did start out with them in a community tank but it didn't work, fin nipping killed 2 of them. I think they need their own set up . I like the sound of the others together though. Why not vary the shrimp? say 2 Ghost, 2 Armano and 2 Cherry? More colour and I am told they will live together well. sadly I only have armano shrimps as they have been the only ones I could find. Oh and don't forget to post pics of the tank, we all love that........we are rather nosey!!!! :-[

Neville
Dasha said:
Oh, this is just phase 1, the final will be:

Common Name Want Inches
Red-Eyed Tetra 5 13.75
Cory 2 5
danios 6 12
Dwarf Gourami 1 3
Otos 2 4
Ghost shrimp 5
Guppy 3 6
TOTAL 24 43.75

I'm overstocked with the guppies so I may not get them if I can be that disciplined.
Great Combination!!!!!!!
But don't add male guppies. tetras may nip their fin. add some female guppies instead.

Dasha
Ok :-[ guppies - gone. I hope the tetras will leave the long finned danios alone, so far it looked like the zebra danio was the boss of them all (have 5 red eye tetras, 1 zebra danio and 2 leopard danios after yesterday's trip to LFS)

Neville
Dasha said:
Ok :-[ guppies - gone. I hope the tetras will leave the long finned danios alone, so far it looked like the zebra danio was the boss of them all (have 5 red eye tetras, 1 zebra danio and 2 leopard danios after yesterday's trip to LFS)
Good Luck!!!!!!

Sam Livingston
Definitely gonna need more danios than just one, they get lonely, I try to keep them in schools no lwoer than 5 or 6.

Tazmiche
how is tank going?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom