Aquarium Clubs in South Florida?

NyeAngel

Are there any aquarium clubs in SoFlo? Particularly, Broward county (Fort Lauderdale)? Anyone planning to start one or would like to? How do you start an aquarium club anyhow? What are the key elements...aside from having an aquarium?

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Welcome to the forum. Glad you're here. There are a lot of people in Fla that keep fish so I would think there would be one around there somewhere. I know there is one in either Tampa or Sarasota somewhere, which doesn't help I know. Try calling some of the aquarium stores in you're area, I would think they would know. Alison

OP
N

NyeAngel

Thanks. Tbh I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of clubs in SoFlo on here. come on fellow SoFlo'ns. what's up with that? lol.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Maybe you should be more location specific in your post. I also live in south Fla but on the other coast. That could be why you aren't getting responses. Maybe start a thread looking for fishclubs around Fort Lauderdale , Fla. would bring more responses, Hopefully. Alison

blakeugan

Well Known
Lol I'm here in broward. Can't find a club as well. However, have you heard of Marks Ark? Amazing place

blakeugan

Well Known
Lol if I had the money to rent a place, start a fish club, and recruit people, I would. I had the idea of getting fish randomly one day, and I've been obsessed ever since. Starting my first cycle tonight!

OP
N

NyeAngel

I started mine 10 days ago. Could be just an info club, maybe trading, discounts for member at club connected stores... *envsions*

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
I'm on your side of south Florida as well. I've considered starting one but never went through with it.

blakeugan

Well Known
Flowingfins said:
I'm on your side of south Florida as well. I've considered starting one but never went through with it.
Too bad I'm in school. Maybe in summer we can start something XD

OP
N

NyeAngel

Well dang nabbit that's 3! What are we waiting for?! We don't have to spend money to start a club. We could just start as a Think Tank. Or something.

blakeugan

Well Known
I'm gonna be honest. I'm only 14. I'm gonna have to get my parents to approve this. Flowing, north or south? Where are you?

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
I'm 14 as well. I should be able to talk my mom into it I can't give my exact city, but I'm in Palm Beach county.

OP
N

NyeAngel

We don't have to meet in person. That's not safe lol. We don't have the numbers anyway. We could start with a group on here. Share nice stores or bad ones. Where to get stuff in SoFlo etc. idk. Stuff like that. I'm all for a virtual club.

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Same, not sure how I feel about traveling an hour to be met by a murderer.

Should we start a new thread or use this one?

OP
N

NyeAngel

This one until we come up with a name. Then we can direct people to fhe new one?

blakeugan

Well Known
Glad we are on a mutual consensus of not getting murdered. Let's start by making a new thread. Eventually, we can make a site or something. A south Florida thread. We can reference stores, items, fish, and show our own tanks. I like where this is going. (Just saw your post Nye, we can stay here)

Flowingfins said:
Same, not sure how I feel about traveling an hour to be met by a murderer.

Should we start a new thread or use this one?
Can I just ask? You would have been okay with traveling 5 minutes to a murderer? Lol I'm jk, but this is cool

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
What about "Fish Owners Of South Florida" or FOOSF for short lol

Lol, you know what I meant

blakeugan

Well Known
We live in a state who's initials can stand for fish lovers.

This was destiny.

Ok in seriousness, FOOSF works. We need our final judge to give it a ten.

blakeugan

Well Known
Question. Do you guys have crazy high ph too? I have this SoFlo water that has like 8.2

Luckily my LFS gets fish from a farm here in South FL, so they are used to it.

OP
N

NyeAngel

FOOSF?! *keels over laughing*. Yeah mine is 8.3 glad its not just me. Very alkaline water. Its good but I was thinking something cool like consortium or or or league or or guild or alliance lol and aquarist! Aquarist Guild of SoFlo. AGOSF? I know! South Florida Aquarist Guild SFLAG? Leage of South Florida Aquarists? LOSFA? You come up with some Blake then we'll pick.

blakeugan

Well Known
Guys, I have some nitrites in my tap water. I am day two in my cycle, ammonia hasn't changed yet. Will the nitrites actually help my water?

Lets talk Fish Stores/ LFS's/ Equipment! Where do you guys go for LFS?

OP
N

NyeAngel

Exactly Fins! I wanna sound like a superhero. LoL Blake! No they don't. Because it's just as bad as ammonia. Only 2 days in? Pfft you've got a waaaays to go. If you see some nitrates in your TANK and the nitrites going down then you're in business. I'm still looking for an LFS, but to be honest there is a Petsmart 5mins away and a Petco 15 with all the lights. The good reviewed LFS are like a 45min drive!

Don't you have a name to toss in Blake?

blakeugan

Well Known
NyeAngel said:
Exactly Fins! I wanna sound like a superhero. LoL Blake! No they don't. Because it's just as bad as ammonia. Only 2 days in? Pfft you've got a waaaays to go. If you see some nitrates in your TANK and the nitrites going down then you're in business. I'm still looking for an LFS, but to be honest there is a Petsmart 5mins away and a Petco 15 with all the lights. The good reviewed LFS are like a 45min drive!
Yeah there is one in lake worth that I mentioned earlier. Shouldn't be thaaat far from you. It's called marks ark. Amazing place.

catuz

YOU young aquarists united. I just moved back to Michigan from the Ft. Myers area. I wish I could have met some 14 year olds. Everyone was older than me and I'm 63.

blakeugan

Well Known
catuz said:
YOU young aquarists united. I just moved back to Michigan from the Ft. Myers area. I wish I could have met some 14 year olds. Everyone was older than me and I'm 63.
That's perfect! South Florida Aquarists United! We are all friendly here. If you need some help or can offer some help, it'd be great! We are all here in Florida!

OP
N

NyeAngel

Lake Worth is like an hr from me w/o traffic! lol

I like it. United Aquarists of South Florida? LoL this is fun.

blakeugan

Well Known
Make sure it doesn't eat it!

You guys wanna send pics of you tanks? Here is one of mineImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1460596576.999288.jpg

New Threads