Aquarium bigger than stand

trinket
I currently have a 10 gallon tank on top of a sturdy wooden chest.

I bought a 25 gallon tank to upgrade to and I thought it would fit on there okay, but after measuring I realized the chest is 29 inches wide and the tank is around 31. If there's an inch of overhang on each side, will that be okay or will it put stress on parts of the tank?

Also wondering what everyone uses for their stands. I've looked at some aquarium stands and I find them all over priced and not very sturdy looking at all. I'd be nervous to use something made from MDF pressboard rather than solid wood (like my chest is).

Aquarist
Hello Trinket,

It could be risky if your tank isn't completely supported. Pressure cracks or broken seals...you just never know. If there is any way for you to support the entire tank, I'd recommend it.

Better safe than sorry!

Ken

Simon Law
I've got a 30 gallon tank on a stand with 2 inches on each end sticking out but the width is fully supported. Been like that for 5 years without a problem. If you are concerned than just cut a piece of flat plywood to fit/or bigger than the tank and put it under the tank.

trinket
Another question-

I could potentially put the bigger tank on top of my dresser but I'm really afraid of damaging the wood. Would the weight of the aquarium leave an indent on the surface? What could I put under it to keep the wood safe?

Nutter
The easy solution to both of your questions is to lay a sheet of 19mm thick MDF over the top of the dresser that is slightly larger than the tank you want to place there. I've done that with many tanks on stands that are up to 15cm too short for the tank without any problems at all. All aquariums should have a sheet of polystyrene layed out underneath them to even out any imperfections in the supporting surface. That will also protect the wood from pressure marks.

As far as placing the bigger heavier tank on the dresser, you probably need to be more concerned about the dresser being able to support the weight of the bigger tank than of the dresser wood being damaged by the tank.

trinket
My dresser is solid wood and I'd trust it to hold the weight, but would prefer to keep it on the wooden chest I have.

Where would I be able to buy polystyrene for under the tank?

I might look into getting a piece of wood to put between the tank and the wooden chest but I don't have any tools for cutting wood, if I go to the hardware store with the dimensions would they be able to cut it for me?

Nutter
You should be able to buy the poly sheets from any LFS. It doesn't cost much. You can buy a handsaw for $5 from the hardware store so I would just do that or find a friend that can do it for you or has a saw you can borrow.

psalm18.2
I use a piece of plywood, learned from a monster fish owner. Works great! Cheap too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
drxcos
Replies
Views
Loachland
Replies
Views
Cricket lynn mclean
Replies
Views