Aquarium Base substrate (Coco Peat, Charcoal, Lava rocks)

tetrafins
i'm starting a new setup with an undergravel filter. I have lava rocks on the sides of the undergravel filter and I'm using coco peat and charcoal, + a sprinkle of JBL Florapol as 1st layer substrate. I'll be topping up with Tetra active substrate.

Im trying to achieve a nutrient and Iron rich substrate with plenty of air for the roots to grow well.

Hope that it will work out fine, its the first time im using charcoal as substrate.

Patman0519
tetrafins said:
i'm starting a new setup with an undergravel filter. I have lava rocks on the sides of the undergravel filter and O'm using coco peat and charcoal, + a sprinkel of JBL Florapol as 1st layer substrate. I'll be topping up with Tetra active substrate.

Im trying to achieve a nutrient and Iron rich substrate with pleny of air for the roots to grow well.

Hope that it will work out fine, its the first time im using charcoal as substrate.
That peat stuff is essentially hydra crunch just crushed up it looks like...not sure if all of it will sink, the lava rock is a good idea and extremely cheap at home depot, I dig it keep updating us.

tetrafins
Patman0519 said:
That peat stuff is essentially hydra crunch just crushed up it looks like...not sure if all of it will sink, the lava rock is a good idea and extremely cheap at home depot, I dig it keep updating us.
1st time with coal in the aquarium hope it works well. Its coco peat, i dunno about hydra crunch. I will complete the setup by tomorrow can't wait how it turns out .

Pfrozen
the charcoal is unnecessary but i like your idea. be prepared to stock softwater fish though :D did you have anything specific in mind?

tetrafins
Pfrozen said:
the charcoal is unnecessary but i like your idea. be prepared to stock softwater fish though :D did you have anything specific in mind?
I added charcoal due to its benefits in outdoor gardening . I think it may be useful in the aquarium world as well . It will (hopefully) provide carbon to the roots and some beneficial nutrients (im a total amateur regarding the chemical composition).

I initially plan to have plants in it in the first week, then will add some shrimps Afterwards i'll have to look for small fish so that the shrimps survives! Any fish suggestion?

tetrafins
I have added the Tetra active substrate to the setup, added the plants, added co2 and currently misting twice per day.

So far so good. I'm waiting for the roots to grow before adding water, i'm hoping that around 1 week i can completely submerge it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom