Aquarium Backgrounds

Discussion in 'Polls' started by ZeeZ, Dec 17, 2012.

?

Which Type Of Background Do You Prefer?

1. Solid Color

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Plant Life Photo

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No Background

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Do Not Care

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I don't know about you, but I feel like most aquarium backgrounds is kind of cheating. They want it to look like it's full of live plants but don't have any or have only a few. They're not putting in the work of turning it into a fully planted tank.

However, on the other side, I can also see how it would be easier to clean the tank. Or if the person preferred a more minimalist tank.

Those with just a black or one solid color backgrounds, I have mixed feelings on. I'd rather let the live plants speak for themselves...

Your thoughts?

EDIT: Sigh. I forgot to add the polls. Can a mod do it for me?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think the live plants do more speaking with a solid black background - it makes everything pop more, IMO.

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have solid black - mostly to hide the unsightly cords and such... Kinda makes my tank look "infinite" so to speak - like a big black hole.....

I also like the clean look

4. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

I chose plants as my background in my 10 because it was the cheapest I could find! It was either blue with rocks (which didn't fit) or plants which happen to be very similar to the many I do have in my tank! :D

As for the 60....uh...yeah...haven't felt like putting a background on it. x.X

5. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

I know what you mean about backgrounds with pictures of plants. There are some where the person does a nice job blending their hardscape (no plants) in with the background to add depth, but most don't seem to work at all.

My 10 gallon is cheap using a black trash bag, which sounds tacky, but it hides the wires and looks pleasing at the front of the tank. The live plants do the rest of the work. Same goes for my blackwater 29 hex. I'll stick with solid backgrounds (painted from now on), natural looking substrates, and let the plants and hardscape do their work without the background drawing attention away :).

6. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

If I did a background, it would be one inside the tank where I could attach plants. I've seen some amazing foam backgrounds with plants in them that I would definitely not mind trying myself.

7. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I think that's great! Shows alot of creativity - not tacky at all!!! If I was a bit more crafty, I would try doing things like that myself! :)

8. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

I just have a solid light blue with a slight wave design it hides all the wires and it completes my tanks look.

9. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

We're lucky, we have our tanks in the computer room. The smokey sky blue walls look really nice through the water.

The reason I didn't care for the commonly sold backgrounds is that most of them look really cheesy, but if I did use one, it would either be one that looked natural and normal like the half sand half white rocks undersea look, or just a solid color (probably black to make the live plants and fish colors stand out).

10. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

The ones that really gets on my nerves are the ones with saltwater backgrounds and a freshwater tank or vice versa.

Polyps and Coral with Anacharis and Java Ferns? Really.

11. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I just got a Betta a couple of days ago. He was constantly flaring at his reflection. Doing some reading, I found that a printed background makes the reflection less pronounced. Solid backgrounds turn the aquarium sides into virtual mirrors, exacerbating the situation.

I didn't have any backgrounds laying around, but I did have an old nature type calendar, featuring the Jordan River Valley - multiple aquatic themed shots. I tore off the photos, and taped them into place. They were just about the perfect size for the 10 gal. They look surprisingly natural, and they have helped the Betta calm down substantially. He still can see himself, but the busy background does distract him a bit.

The big problem, is the actual Calander pointing out into the room on the two sides. :)

I've never used backgrounds before, other than one or two painted tanks in the past.

12. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

I don't see anything wrong with that. That's a perfectly valid practical reason and you were in a bind.

13. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

Interesting perspective on that, LyleB. I notice our betta flares at himself in his 5 gal, but figured it was because the room was dark and his light was on, causing the reflection. Time for a bit of plant rearranging to help block off some of his walls!

Any other thoughts on backgrounds and ways to cut off the reflection in the tank, anyone?

14. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Poll Added.

Ken

15. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

I would actually like to see a picture of that Lyle, sounds pretty!!

I usually just go grab the 25 cent posted boards at my $ store and use those. For my 60 I dont have anything yet. I was thinking of drawing/painiting something for it tho.

16. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

I have both tanks with Solid black background and with no background. I prefer the black background.

17. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

In my kids 10g we of course have a sponge bob square pants background with the sponge bob decor. In my 29 I have a printed rock and in my saltwater solid blue. I am not a fan of the shade not sure what to do to make it prettier. And in all other tanks I have solid black which I think looks bold. In my 75 I am not sure yet, proabably black I am researching aquascapes for some ideas.

I have heard of painting the back of the tank..I am not sure I like this, anyone ever done it?

18. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Black background all the way!;) Less work and a nice look.

19. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I don't have any background on my betta tanks. One of the bigger tanks has a background (it came with the tank) and the other is a solid black painted back. I prefer the solid because it seems to make the tank decorations and the fish pop out more. Only problem with it is that sometimes I have a problem finding my black angels if they are cruising along the back of the tank.

20. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

I try to blend my tank in with the background.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice