Aquarium Advice

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FEARADDAY, Apr 24, 2017.

1. FEARADDAY

FEARADDAYValued MemberMember

hello i wanted to know what you guys think about my stock of fish in my 10 gallon. i have 3 guppies a betta and a platy. any advice? comments?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Be very careful with the betta. I wouldn't keep a betta with any other fish in anything less than 20 gallons.
    There is very little temperature overlap between the betta and platies.
    Sounds a little overstocked.

3. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

the betta bothers nothing! i specifically picked one that was already with other fish, it was with glowfish

4. UniqueShark

UniqueSharkWell Known MemberMember

Still dangerous for the other fish. I've had a betta who was fine for a few weeks and attacked my male guppies at night

5. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ok, just saying be careful. There have been many stories of peaceful bettas very suddenly deciding they don't want tankmates anymore. Just because he is fine with them today, doesn't mean he will be tomorrow. I feel in a tank less than 20 gallons there isn't a way for a betta to get away from other fish. Being kept in a community tank setting can stress a betta considerably even if the tank is large. I'm not saying your betta will definitely kill all your other fish or that he will get sick from stress or anything but there is always a large risk. It's not much of a risk for you but it is for the fish.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

No offense meant, but knowledgeable people are giving you good advice, that you asked for, and you're not interested in hearing it. Why did you ask in the first place?

Agreed with the above. Overstocked with temperature and behavioral incompatibilities. I'd either move the betta out or move the guppies and the platies out.

7. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

i am listening i cant be constanly be returning fish to the pet store

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

That's what you should do in this case (or you could get another tank). No one is asking you to constantly return fish. We're asking you to return fish one time.

9. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

This is why it is best practice to research your fish before purchasing.

10. Lindsay83

Lindsay83Valued MemberMember

So, you rehome your Cory, and, against the advice of the forum, replaced him with a betta?

Overpopulated?

In fact ...

8th Feb:

10gal stock:
    1 Dalmation Molly (another died on the morning of the thread)
    4 Tiger Barbs
    2 Swordtails

Also, the night before posting, you lost a Cory.

On the 9th Feb, you returned your Tiger Barbs and Molly, and replaced them with 3 Guppies and 2 Cherry barbs (advice suggested 2 Guppies and 2 platies OR 5 Guppies).

So, 10th Feb stocking looked like:

3 Guppies
    2 Cherry Barbs
    2 Sword Tails

11th Feb:
    3 Guppies
    2 Cherry Barbs
    2 Platies
    1 snail, and 1 ghost shrimp

22nd Feb:
    3 Guppies
    2 Platies
    1 Cherry Barb (the other died)

10th Mar - you moved to your mom's. No mention of what fish you had, so presumably still the same.

15th Mar;
    No mention of fish, but your Mystery and Nerite Snails (never previously mentioned) are all dead.

30th Mar:
    You swapped your Cherry Barb for a fancy Guppy and the male Platy for a female.

Stock:
    4 Guppies
    2 Platies (both female)

Somewhere between then and 13th Apr, you add the Cory.

You keep asking for advice, doing what you want, and then complain when the forum advises you to return the fish.

My advice: Take it on the chin, follow the advice given, and in future, RESEARCH fish species BEFORE you buy them.

I apologise if that seems harsh, but making thread after thread and ignoring advice given (or cherry picking which advice to follow), is just going to cause the more knowledgeable members to start wondering "what's the point - the OP never listens anyway", your threads get ignored, and your fish suffer for it.

Did you ever get a test kit?
    What happened to the planned 20gal?

11. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi FEARADDAY
    Good advice was given in your other thread last week.
    Overpopulated?
    Not sure why the betta was added. What happened to the 4th guppy?

Something that has not been mentioned (I don't think) is that while the betta may be docile the guppies can get nippy. They can be a rambunctious bunch. This can not only stress the betta but it may get it's fins nipped.
    I had a bunch and they were just horrible to other fish and each other. Not that all guppies act that way but we cannot predict their behavior.

I know it's hard to hear that stocking mistakes have been made. We only want your fish to be happy and healthy and for you to have a tank you can enjoy. :)

12. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

i have taken your advice! every time i return what you guys tell me too! plus a guppy died now there is only 3 now

13. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

What's your current stock of fish in the tank?

14. Lindsay83

Lindsay83Valued MemberMember

Yeah, you return the fish we advise you to, but against the advice of the forum, you bought a betta, and instead of 2 Guppies and 2 Platies OR 5 Guppies, you got 2 Guppies and 2 Cherry Barbs.

15. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

great news everyone! i found a 20 gallon long in the attic! at one point it was a bearded dragon cage, it hasent been used in years! what do i do?

16. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

First of all I'd advise you to research the fish you want to buy, before buying them. Not after.

I'm guessing that what you've found is a terrarium and not an aquarium. If it is a terrarium, I'd never use it as an aquarium. It might be possible and first of all you could test if it's even waterproof, but personally I'd not want to risk it. Not even if someone told me there was no risk.

17. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

how can you tell? there is an attach to glass thermometer on the top of the tank, like its flat

18. Kiks

I'm not sure I understand what you mean/what that is.
    How thick is the glass?

19. OP
    OP
    FEARADDAY

the
    glass is actualy thicker than my 10 gallon! i will send a picture of the thermometer thing

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  20. Kiks

Well, people use thermometers for terrariums as well.
    The glass should be thicker than your 10 gallon! However if the glass is thinner than on a regular 20 gallon aquarium tank I would not use it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice