Aquarium Addiction - Help! How Do You Stop?

xloe
So I started with a 29 gallon a few months ago, and I have a 10 gal quarantine that I am currently decorating since I am done (I think) stocking my 29(!!!). I'm guessing it won't be long until it is no longer a qt tankead:. I have been checking craigslist every day looking for a super deal on a 75 gal set up because that is what I think I really want now. I love getting new fish and new plants/rocks/wood and planting and arranging them and watching them.... but what do I do now that I don't really need any more new stuff i.e. the tank is full??
I have other hobbies, 4 kids, and work part time, and we just get buy $ wise, so I don't think the problem is that I have too much time or money on my hands.
Someone please tell me how you become happy with what you have and stop needing MORE for this hobby! Maybe I'll get bored with it eventually???

KimberlyG
Please let us know when you find an answer.

xloe
That's not helpful

edevingo
I started with a 15g,then a 29g,40g,60g and 110g. Had them all running up until a few weeks ago, I'm becoming the crazy fish lady. Lol I've only had the 110g for a month or so,already thinking I'd love to go up just one more time but I can't, no room nor floor that would take the weight. Guess my advice would be, go as big as the space you have can handle, giving you no choice to stop. Good luck!

CanadianJoeh
I don't think anyone stops on purpose.

Once we're decorating our shower and keeping fish in there too, it might be a sign it's time to stop. (Lol)

My growth has been stunted at just 20 gallons due to housing arrangements - I get my fix by going to different fish stores with cool setups and talking to the owners or managers about fish

But someday, I swear, I'll turn my future garage into a gallery like King of DIY.

FishGirl38
It's hard! I work at a LFS...
When I started, I knew nothing and didn't have a single tank. Now I have 5 tanks....AND a discount. Everytime I go to work I come home with something new. x.x. It is an addiction.

Niki Rose
yup I couldn't stop buying tanks

I started with an 8 gal with a few fish that I bought randomly one day without any prep, though I did afterwards do research and found out about cycling and my overstocked tank and figured I would look online for a tank to rehouse them.

A while later I found a 70gal that I couldn't resist buying and thought this would be perfect for my current fish and as my 2nd ever tank I wasn't too prepared for the maintenance and honestly though I was getting a good deal (spoiler alert I think I got ripped off and in the end I never put those fish in the 70 since I wanted tropical instead). I then cycled and half stocked the tank(still isn't fully stocked)

Then I convinced myself that since I can't put my fish in the 70 or keep them in the 8 I bought another tank which was a 25gal... then I half stocked that tank and randomly started searching online and found a 40gal extremely cheap.

So now not only do I have 4 tanks and a 5th on the way but all of them are no where near fully stocked or completed and I am in the process of moving all my fish from the 25 over to the 40
I should mention this was over the course of a year.

xloe
NikI Rose said:
yup I couldn't stop buying tanks

I started with an 8 gal with a few fish that I bought randomly one day without any prep, though I did afterwards do research and found out about cycling and my overstocked tank and figured I would look online for a tank to rehouse them.

A while later I found a 70gal that I couldn't resist buying and thought this would be perfect for my current fish and as my 2nd ever tank I wasn't too prepared for the maintenance and honestly though I was getting a good deal (spoiler alert I think I got ripped off and in the end I never put those fish in the 70 since I wanted tropical instead). I then cycled and half stocked the tank(still isn't fully stocked)

Then I convinced myself that since I can't put my fish in the 70 or keep them in the 8 I bought another tank which was a 25gal... then I half stocked that tank and randomly started searching online and found a 40gal extremely cheap.

So now not only do I have 4 tanks and a 5th on the way but all of them are no where near fully stocked or completed and I am in the process of moving all my fish from the 25 over to the 40
I should mention this was over the course of a year.
Yes! I am kind of worried of getting too much, and then regretting it later. But the other part of me loves setting up tanks! Maybe I need to quit and work for a lfs...(not going to happen)

BluMan1914
xloe said:
Maybe I'll get bored with it eventually???
Hahahahahahahahahaaaaahaaaaaaa......wait wait wait....haaaaaaa.....oh my goodness....haaaa.
Ok ok ok...I'm better.
You were being funny right?

Niki Rose
xloe said:
Yes! I am kind of worried of getting too much, and then regretting it later. But the other part of me loves setting up tanks! Maybe I need to quit and work for a lfs...(not going to happen)
I already too far gone having spent hundreds already and still needing more supplies to complete all my tanks, its surprising how much money you have to spend on filters, heaters, substrate, plants, dechlorinator, wood, rock, fish, water treatments, test kits, nets, buckets.... well the list goes on.

Honestly I love setting up tanks and all the possibilities and things I could create inside one but at the same time there always has to be some limitation to how many you should actually have. I find re-scaping tanks keeps me from getting bored or wanting more

Nataku
My best fix for not getting new tanks or fish or some thing is having something that breeds or reproduces. That way new things are still happening, but at a slower rate and I'm also not buying said new things.

I have swordtails, and I am attempting to produce hi-fin lyretail swordtails. So I can't really change things around much in that tank, as I want them to do their thing. I've had one batch of fry but so far they aren't big enough to really confirm who is what to be culled and the like yet.

I also have a tank with fancy guppies who of course breed like crazy. I cull those down and keep a few of the ones I like most to breed and sell the rest off as fancies to LFS or feed culls off to other fish.

I have plants in all my tanks. They grow and I trI'm and replant and scape as they do. And extras that I don't have a place for in my tanks are given away to other people so they can have planted tanks, or they are sold back to LFS - jungle vals, java fern and amazon sword in particular are quite popular with them.

So I still get to go to the fish stores. But I restrain myself from bringing home new fish as much as it is supplies for existing fish and tanks. And I'm earning store credit or sometimes cash.

CricketKeeper
I agree with Nataku, growing/breeding things is what has quenched my thirst for fish tanks. I do mostly plants and shrimp, because they don't breed out of control.

xloe
Nataku said:
My best fix for not getting new tanks or fish or some thing is having something that breeds or reproduces. That way new things are still happening, but at a slower rate and I'm also not buying said new things.

I have swordtails, and I am attempting to produce hi-fin lyretail swordtails. So I can't really change things around much in that tank, as I want them to do their thing. I've had one batch of fry but so far they aren't big enough to really confirm who is what to be culled and the like yet.

I also have a tank with fancy guppies who of course breed like crazy. I cull those down and keep a few of the ones I like most to breed and sell the rest off as fancies to LFS or feed culls off to other fish.

I have plants in all my tanks. They grow and I trI'm and replant and scape as they do. And extras that I don't have a place for in my tanks are given away to other people so they can have planted tanks, or they are sold back to LFS - jungle vals, java fern and amazon sword in particular are quite popular with them.

So I still get to go to the fish stores. But I restrain myself from bringing home new fish as much as it is supplies for existing fish and tanks. And I'm earning store credit or sometimes cash.
I like this idea. I think it would work for me; I hatch out chicks every year, and I haven't spent money or space on new animals or equipment in years, besides feed.
But I have been avoiding fish that reproduce easily/rapidly because I'm not sure what I would do with them...I don't have a lfs that takes stuff.

BluMan1914 said:
Hahahahahahahahahaaaaahaaaaaaa......wait wait wait....haaaaaaa.....oh my goodness....haaaa.
Ok ok ok...I'm better.
You were being funny right?
Ok so I guess that means that that's not very likely..

Niki Rose
You could try selling the babies online for collection only or just giving them away, funnily enough breeding mystery snails is pretty fun for me and since they are not available in my area they sell for a good price

xloe
Thanks, great idea, Fishlore Friends! I will look into breeding, maybe starting with shrimp, so I don't get in over my head too fast.
Plus since I don't know much about shrimp I'll have something new to research so that should occupy me for a little while anyway
And if I get too many maybe I can probably feed them to the betta that may be occupying the aforementioned qt tank any day now

Nataku
xloe said:
I like this idea. I think it would work for me; I hatch out chicks every year, and I haven't spent money or space on new animals or equipment in years, besides feed.
But I have been avoiding fish that reproduce easily/rapidly because I'm not sure what I would do with them...I don't have a lfs that takes stuff.
You can also look into selling fish, inverts or plants on sites like aquabid or here on the BSTF forums.
And the livebearers and plants are just my fastest producers right now. I have several other breeding projects happening in other tanks including florida flagfish, working on producing long fin albino tiger barbs (I have long fins breeding, I have albinos breeding, getting them to breed together? A work in progress), and I'm eventually planning on having at least one breeding pair out of my husband's blue angelfish. Those are all egg layers so it takes a bit more work.

Albifrons
What I like to do is go to my lfs and drool over the awesome setups they've got in there! There's this really sweet 200 gallon saltwater tank they've got that's just gorgeous! Sadly it's making me think I need to get into saltwater now as well I'm only on my first tank and I already feel the need to get everything and fill my house with tanks! Something that I feel helps me though is doing research on different types of fish, and helping out on fishlore with other people's stocking issues. It's kinda a weird approach to keeping myself from buying more tanks, but it works for me

Niki Rose
Albifrons said:
What I like to do is go to my lfs and drool over the awesome setups they've got in there! There's this really sweet 200 gallon saltwater tank they've got that's just gorgeous! Sadly it's making me think I need to get into saltwater now as well I'm only on my first tank and I already feel the need to get everything and fill my house with tanks! Something that I feel helps me though is doing research on different types of fish, and helping out on fishlore with other people's stocking issues. It's kinda a weird approach to keeping myself from buying more tanks, but it works for me
Ive been eyeing up saltwater too but from my knowledge its very different from freshwater and you have to monitor a lot of different types of parameters, also seems to be 10x more expensive and I feel like there is so much in freshwater I haven't done yet and never explored before.

Albifrons
NikI Rose said:
Ive been eyeing up saltwater too but from my knowledge its very different from freshwater and you have to monitor a lot of different types of parameters, also seems to be 10x more expensive and I feel like there is so much in freshwater I haven't done yet and never explored before.
I think that's what's been holding me back from getting into it. As you said, it's mega expensive and I feel like you just have to pick one or the other in this hobby because of the fact that there is so much variety in either option!

75g Discus Tank
I started big with a 75. Then, I got smaller tanks.
All of my tank sizes

20 long
10 (3 of em)
1(Walstad shrimp jar)

CanadianJoeh
Even the King of DIY doesn't have any saltwater aquariums anymore, I don't think. If he does, it's only 1 and it's in his house.

75g Discus Tank
Also to answer the question, you won’t stop!

Albifrons
CanadianJoeh To be honest I was under the impression you might have been King of DIY for a while until you referred to him under another thread

75g Discus Tank
Albifrons said:
CanadianJoeh To be honest I was under the impression you might have been King of DIY for a while until you referred to him under another thread
Do you watch him too?
I named my discus(blue one in my profile picture) after Frank!

Albifrons
75g Discus Tank said:
Do you watch him too?
Don't even get me started on King of DIY, I love his videos.

CanadianJoeh
75g Discus Tank said:
Also to answer the question, you won’t stop!
You can't stop

Albifrons said:
Is it because I'm Canadian and my name is Joe?
75g Discus Tank said:
Do you watch him too?
Yes! The King of DIY is a must watch! You learn so much and they're also fun and entertaining.

I'm using his DIY food method to make some homemade fish treats!

BluMan1914
xloe said:
Ok so I guess that means that that's not very likely..
Not very likely. This hobby is very addicting, and you will find yourself trying to get more tanks to buy more fish. Thank goodness for my wife, and putting her foot down, or else there would be more than one tank in the house.
Everytime I look at a wall, she shakes her head no. I have a 75 gallon Lake Tanganyika, and I'm looking to upgrade to a 150-200 gallon.
But wife wants me to restart her Fluval SpecV, and get her 20 gallon long up and running.
MTS.....the struggle is real.

Bithimala
Run out of space!

75g Discus Tank
Soon, you will be diagnosed with an incurable disease... it’s MTS.

Now that’s when you start to build a fish room!

CanadianJoeh
To add fuel to the fire.... You know, cars can park fine outdoors. They're waterproof for crying out loud.

Say you start parking outside.... Well, that garage is a pretty decent sized space, right? Maybe buy some cheap packs of insulation, a couple floor heaters....

Clear out that one wall where all the old toys are! Who needs them? Yard sale!

Hey, great place for a brand new rack. You can find real cheap metal ones at Home Depot! Now what to put on that new rack?

Hmmmm........................................................

Niki Rose
CanadianJoeh said:
To add fuel to the fire.... You know, cars can park fine outdoors. They're waterproof for crying out loud.

Say you start parking outside.... Well, that garage is a pretty decent sized space, right? Maybe buy some cheap packs of insulation, a couple floor heaters....

Clear out that one wall where all the old toys are! Who needs them? Yard sale!

Hey, great place for a brand new rack. You can find real cheap metal ones at Home Depot! Now what to put on that new rack?

Hmmmm........................................................
haha that's exactly what I did with one of my spare rooms, bought a rack and everything

CanadianJoeh
NikI Rose said:
haha that's exactly what I did with one of my spare rooms, bought a rack and everything
I live in a condo right now with some family, but as soon as I have some property.....

TerryCat
I started with a 2.5 gallon, went to a 10, got a second 10, got a 20, got a 15, got rid of a 10, got a 26, got rid of the 20,and now I have an empty 46 just waiting for a stand and fish I try so hard to stop but I end up spending $50 a month on plants, or meds, or other fish things.

Hunter1
I have the addiction!!

Started my first tank in 40 years 11/1/2017.

I now have a 36 bf, 2 20 talks, a 5 and a 20 long.

The 20 long was to be a sterbia Cory (6) and male betta tank. But I put a pair of zebra danios and a pair of cherry barbs in there 2 nights ago. Guess I’ll raise some fry before moving the corys and betta in.

All different substrates; pea gravel over flourite, white tiny gravel over flourite, eco-whatever (the expensive stuff) covered with black flourite capped with black sand and my last, organic potting mix capped with black sand.

And my 20 tall, empty one. Still deciding but probably a glass cover with high light LED, miracle grow organic potting soil capped with black sand.

Then i’m done....until I get a 75/90 to raise angelfish in and get them to pair off in. That will probably lead to 2-4 30s for breeding and raising fry.

xloe
Well my husband likes the tanks I've set up so far a lot, so he's not stopping me (yet) so much as the $ issue. and the fact that I really like for the tanks to look like part of the house, like decoration, and I want to avoid looking like a crazy fish house (though I would probably be thrilled with that tbh).
Anyway, I am already super excited about trying shrimp! I want to get some red cherry since they sound like easy beginner shrimp, and I can put them in the 10 gal I already have. I think observing and breeding them might give me my "fix" as others have said.
I haven't seen any lately though around our lps or petsmart (and I'm hanging out there pretty often if you hadn't already guessed). Anyone know a good source for rcs, not too expensive with the shipping?
At any rate I can't say I'll stop checking Craigslist for my 75 g. One of these days I'm going to find the whole package for $100 fingers crossed

Fashooga
Finance comes in play for me. House payments, bills and food obviously are the main thing all my money goes too. With kids in daycare costs as much as a mortgage saving for another tank is not an option.

It takes discipline to stay at a certain amount of tanks. Lots of work too.

That’s how I stay at two tanks.

Plus my wife said no more tanks. Happy wife happy life.

CanadianFishFan
I started with 1 betta as a pet, a year later 12 bettas are in my room each in 10 gallon tanks! Luckily I have my parents to stop me at the pet store or else the last 7 bettas I saw would most likely be in my house. I would probably go broke. Tell us when you do find the answer of how to stop. (I realized after I wanted more fish I knew I was in the fish hobby) P.S if you ever think you might not like the hobby anymore, just think to yourself would you like another fish? If the answer is yes your still in.

It gets expensive. I spent $80 yesterday on like 4 items....And how are bettas $31? A year ago they where only $20....

SplendidBettas
I've been keeping fish ever since first grade. It was always bettas until I started breeding fancy guppies and various cichlids. When I was in seventh grade I convinced my dad to install a pond in the yard, and around that time I got my first 125 gallon. I don't think the addiction will ever stop!

CanadianFishFan
Dont we all know King of DIY

edevingo
Fashooga said:
Finance comes in play for me. House payments, bills and food obviously are the main thing all my money goes too. With kids in daycare costs as much as a mortgage saving for another tank is not an option.

It takes discipline to stay at a certain amount of tanks. Lots of work too.

That’s how I stay at two tanks.

Plus my wife said no more tanks. Happy wife happy life.
Same here except the BF was the one complaining about the increasing light bill ect.. Hence me taking down a few tanks. I put one back up in my son's room the other week though and about to put one in my daughter's room. Out of sight. I'm terrible Lol. It really is an addiction. Lol

Greg F
The threat of divorce tempers my enthusiasm , mostly because I hate moving fish tanks!

Just kidding. Love you honey..

SmallFishGuy
Welcome to the end, there is no return, no finish line, no final article, you have sold your soul to the game and now you will be a fish

xloe
SmallFishGuy said:
Welcome to the end, there is no return, no finish line, no final article, you have sold your soul to the game and now you will be a fish
Exactly!
Somebody please set up the finish line.

New Fish in Town
xloe said:
So I started with a 29 gallon a few months ago, and I have a 10 gal quarantine that I am currently decorating since I am done (I think) stocking my 29(!!!). I'm guessing it won't be long until it is no longer a qt tankead:. I have been checking craigslist every day looking for a super deal on a 75 gal set up because that is what I think I really want now. I love getting new fish and new plants/rocks/wood and planting and arranging them and watching them.... but what do I do now that I don't really need any more new stuff i.e. the tank is full??
I have other hobbies, 4 kids, and work part time, and we just get buy $ wise, so I don't think the problem is that I have too much time or money on my hands.
Someone please tell me how you become happy with what you have and stop needing MORE for this hobby! Maybe I'll get bored with it eventually???
Just don't impulse buy. Wait a year, or two and see how much you actually enjoy doing water changes every week. That will make you stop when you have to deal with that after coming home from work tired.

JamieXPXP
there is no stopping it once you start hahaha. for me, while I do want more tanks and fish...I want aquatic plants even more XD

AWheeler
At first, it was the request that I keep everything in the same room and that room only has so much space to put tanks....then it was the planning of moving that got me to sell my small salt water aquarium and my African cichlids....I was going to sell my 60 gal tank but I haven't yet... Now I have a 55, a 40 and a 10 gal tank. I'm not moving right away, but knowing that I am going to be moving at some point in time has me really watching what I am buying because I know I'm going to have to drive with any fish/tanks/heaters/lights, etc. and the drive is going to be at least 5 hours!

RAM3423
Hahahahaha..............

You got to be kidding me. All I started with was a gift from a friend. 6 ENDLERS THATS IT. 6 months later now I got 8 tanks. I just got a 75 and waiting for my African Chiclids to come in. All ready planning for some kribensis to get unloaded to me from another friend.

I am telling you. I tried to control myself but it is useless. My only tip is: try not to spend to much money and try to restraint yourself.

Good luck!

david1978
You should try to restrain your yourself with a bunch of empty tanks in the garage. Filters, lights and everything just need water and fish. I see setting up one of the 55's with a sunken aircraft carrier in my near future. Lol. I hate water changes. Lol. Big tank little stocking.

SegiDream
75g Discus Tank said:
I started big with a 75. Then, I got smaller tanks.
All of my tank sizes

20 long
10 (3 of em)
1(Walstad shrimp jar)
I did ot similarly. Went big right at the beginning but keep going smaller. 20 gallon tall was my first real tank, the 3 gallon acted as little more than a quarantine tank. Until I restarted it. So now it's the 20g, 10g, 6g, 3g. And um 2 empty 10g. I just gave away a 20 gallon to a friend for her angel fry. A couple jars/bowls in the works.

So how is the walstad jar working out? What do you use for water movement if I may ask?

bgclarke
Daughter gave us a 5.5, we then bought a 10.
Followed by a 3, then a 20, 16, 7.5, 3.4, 2.5, and another 7.5.
Then a rimless 10 followed us home, then another standard 10 and a Fluval Flex 9 as well.

2.5, 3, 3.4, and the first 10 are not in use at the moment.

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom