Aquaponics

VeeCeeJay

Reaction score
Has anyone out there had experience with aquaponics? Does it have the same benefits as a planted tank? Has anyone done a diy and built their own system, how? Any tips and tricks? Opinions?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I haven't, so this is mainly giving a bump. It does reduce nitrates, so same benefits. I know the king of diy on YouTube has a couple of videos on a planted filtration system using one of those rectangular potting things over the tank and a water pump to bring it up. I'll see if I can't find the link, and I'll add an edit with that.
Edit:
Good luck!!

GirlFriday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not going to be much help, but one of the reasons I started keeping fish was to get the bottom part of the cycle down. I also garden and want to eventually try to run a closed system with herbs and then move up from there. There is a ton of info on the web for DYI projects. I think it would be a really neat experiment but I don't want to kill a bunch of fish out of ignorance.

VeeCeeJay

Reaction score
Rtessy said:
I haven't, so this is mainly giving a bump. It does reduce nitrates, so same benefits. I know the king of diy on YouTube has a couple of videos on a planted filtration system using one of those rectangular potting things over the tank and a water pump to bring it up. I'll see if I can't find the link, and I'll add an edit with that.
Edit:
Good luck!!
Thanks for the video! Very helpful!

JustaNoOb

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know this thread is almost a month old but I'm gonna chime in anyway.
I've experimenting with small systems with various success.
I know people say it's better to grow things like lettuce in aqua, I've never personally tried to yet.

My first system was similar to the one in the video Rtessy posted, not as fancy though.
Can't locate the pictures but it worked fine. I fully grew things like radish but I mainly used it for seed starting.
I had lots of different types of seedlings in it.

I think two years ago I made one nft style. It was a mix between aquaponics and bioponics.
Worked awesome, lots of cucumbers. Used it last year also and grew cucumbers, strawberries. Tried to grow melons but was unsuccessful.
122a79e9-1596-4874-98b6-8ffddb82d034_zpskn2ifdhf.jpg

Last year I made a micro system. This system wasn't a success. The bell syphon was alway failing.
I grew strawberries in it.
b5e71816-e8ed-4a66-a88e-b6cfe7009e90_zpsrsxmj5kq.jpg

I've done lots of different dwc systems. Never had the fish directly in the buckets though. Fed the plants manually using fish water and a living nutrient solution i grew myself.

This year I made a bigger aquaponic. I do plan on supplementing with some organic solutions I make.
Added a self starting syphon so the water level stays the same when it rains. It'l also make it a lot easier to flush the system if the readings start to rise too fast when the warmer weather comes.

I added 2 tiny tims, 3 strawberry, 3 cucumber, 3 melon. Curious to see what happens his year.
The plants hang over the side, hopefully the fish will keep the roots trimmed.
abb141f1-45d9-4e19-a075-3a58fbb05151_zpsxwymjcgz.jpg

The system isn't cycled yet but the readings are ok for the young plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom