Aquaponics?

Fanatic

Hi, I am wondering what type of plants are safe to use in aquariums as aquaponic systems. I've got some pretty flowers in my garden, think they are pansies.

My tank is a 10 gallon, and I would just be doing a single plant in the tank, I just want to try something new for a change. Any suggestions on what I can do?

If pansies aren't safe, I'll wait till spring, and get myself some herbs for it!
What do you say?

Nataku

Never done pansies so can't recommend those but I have done an herb and lettuce garden in a planter box over a tank before and that worked nicely. King of Diy has a video tutorial on it. Think he calls it an over tank sump or the like.
The herbs were great, did rosemary, thyme and organ and some 'mixed lettuces' that came from a seed pack. Can't get any more fresh herbs than picking them from your planter for cooking.

Hepting_3000

I do aquaponics and ideally you would want to pump the water trough a gravel bed of some sort that is out side of the tanks and let if flow back in. look up chop aquaponics and you can apply the same idea in smaller scale. Also it will depend on the ph of your tank and temp. plants like ph of 7 or lower but can get by at about 7.3-7.4, above and they cannot uptake nutrients. roots don't like to be above the 25c temp either.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Beermann
Replies
Views
sweetsammi
Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views