Question Aquaponics tank

txunamy

Reaction score
HI there,
I'm new to keeping a freshwater tank, and have had this tank running for about a month. I'd like to introduce some shrimp, maybe start with some ghost shrimp so I'm not spending a lot while I learn, and eventually get some cherry shrimp or blue dreams. I have live plants, moss balls, and 3 nerite snails.

The tank seems to be cycled, its been running for about a month. I've done 3 water changes (about 30% each time). I've attached some pictures of my tank, it's a 3 gallon aquaponics tank from Back to The Roots. There's microgreens growing out of the top, and the roots act as a biofilter. The aquatic plants are all doing well and putting on new growth and roots. I have: Bolbitis heteroclita (has formed new little baby plantlets on the leaves!), Alternanthera reineckiI mini, Ludwigia arcuatea, lacey javafern, Abubias microcarpaea minima, and a few moss balls :). I add Flourish drops for micronutrients (6 drops every other day or so) for the plants. And when I do water changes I use aquarium salt (1/2 tsp/gallon). I'm going to get a couple oak leaves tomorrow, boil them and add to the tank.

Before I get shrimp, is there anything else you all think I should do? Anything you'd recommend with keeping shrimp/snails in this tank?

Thanks for your feedback, looking forward to your thoughts here.

Attachments

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Shrimps need atleast a 6month old established tank to fully thrive, make sure a nice biofilm is available for them to eat and to make sure the tank is fully cycled. Shrimps are very, very very sensitive, more sensitive than fish. You will have to drip acclimate them, not just float or pour them in. Also if not already , you'll need a gh/kh test too as its more needed for shrimp, any gh/kh swings can kill shrimp. A newly set up tank can also stress the shrimp put and cause death. Just a heads up though. But while you do wait for your tank to establish, you can read more into the care for shrimp !

yeti79

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Everything Blueberrybetta said is good advice. I would recommend starting with cherry shrimp because ghost shrimp are usually in poor condition due to being consider just feeders. If you start with 6 you'll have a tankful in a couple months. Do you have CO2 and high water flow? Bolbitis heteroclita is difficult to grow submersed, most do not have success! Maybe add some chollo wood and alder cones to your tank a bit before you add the shrimps. Might want to make a rock cave or put in a decoration for them to hide in too

OP
txunamy

txunamy

Reaction score
Oh wow, 6 months is long time! Blueberrybetta , I had no idea. In all the research (reading and videos) I've done no one has said a shrimp tank needs to be run that long before adding shrimp. o_O Yikes.

The tank has a nice biofilm. I'll get the gh/kh test.

yeti79, I don't have added CO2. Is this something that's necessary? I don't think the water flow is high, necessarily...not sure how I would measure this? I'll make some more spots for the shrimp to hide. If I'm putting oak leaves in, do I also need to find alder cones...don't they do similar things with adding tannins and conditioning the water?

Thanks for your help you guys!! I'm a plant scientist so my focus has really been the plants :D, but excited to learn more about the invertebrates.

Also, if there's other/better options for other critters to have in this tank in addition to the nerite snails I'm all ears. Other snails? Maybe shrimp aren't the best option? I'm a little hesitant to get fish, I don't want to kill them, and the tank isn't very big so not sure they would be very happy.
Thanks for your advice and thoughts!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Six months is pretty long, but shrimp tanks do need some time to mature. I allow my shrimp tanks to cycle and establish plant growth, then give them another 4-6 weeks before adding my shrimp. This seems to be enough time for the tank to balance and for biofilm to accumulate.

Shrimp are very rewarding, and cherries will thrive in almost any water parameters provided their water is kept clean.

wisecrackerz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Woah, I have a similar "back to the roots" brand aquaponics tank, but always struggled with the lack of inner lighting. What are you using? Looks great.

yeti79

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
txunamy said:
@yeti79, I don't have added CO2. Is this something that's necessary? I don't think the water flow is high, necessarily...not sure how I would measure this? I'll make some more spots for the shrimp to hide. If I'm putting oak leaves in, do I also need to find alder cones...don't they do similar things with adding tannins and conditioning the water?
You do not need to add alder cones at all. They do look nice, add tannins to the water, and will do the same as the oak leaves. Shrimp will enjoy grazing on the biofilm on the cones too. For the Bolbitis heroclita everything I've found growth is optimal by supplying a current, CO2 and soft, slightly acidic water. So high current was a bad way to word it should have said good water flow in your aquarium. Bolbitis Heteroclita is more suitable to be planted emersed in paludariums rather than submerged in an aquarium. Hopefully you have success with it and if not java fern trident and Bolbitis heudelotiI would be good similar alternatives.

OP
txunamy

txunamy

Reaction score
wisecrackerz said:
Woah, I have a similar "back to the roots" brand aquaponics tank, but always struggled with the lack of inner lighting. What are you using? Looks great.
Thanks so much! For the aquarium light I'm using an 18cm blue/white waterproof LED. You can find it here: . I wish it was brighter, and was thinking of getting another one, but it's good for now :)
For the lights over the plants on top I got these bendable white LEDs: Amazon.com : Giixer LED Grow Light for Indoor Plants, 15000Lux Sunlike Full Spectrum Grow Lamp, Professional for Seedling Growing Blooming Fruiting, (Dual Head Full Spectrum) : Garden & Outdoor

yeti79 said:
You do not need to add alder cones at all. They do look nice, add tannins to the water, and will do the same as the oak leaves. Shrimp will enjoy grazing on the biofilm on the cones too. For the Bolbitis heroclita everything I've found growth is optimal by supplying a current, CO2 and soft, slightly acidic water. So high current was a bad way to word it should have said good water flow in your aquarium. Bolbitis Heteroclita is more suitable to be planted emersed in paludariums rather than submerged in an aquarium. Hopefully you have success with it and if not java fern trident and Bolbitis heudelotiI would be good similar alternatives.
Thanks! The Boblitis heteroclita is doing great, good color, new plantlets on 5 leaves, and it's put on 3 new leaves coming from the base since I've had it...so I'd say it's very happy :), not worried about it at all. I have good water flow and my pH is 7.0-7.2. I mounted it on a shell, it's not planted in the substrate, and it has new roots as well. Yay!

magentatooth

Reaction score
:/ so I just move my amano and ghost shrimp between tanks with just a few media from another tank, I haven’t lost any and moved them three or so times.

So I think they can live without a biofilm and six month setup.

I would suggest though to reconsider a no lid tank (no experience of this directly but advised they can crawl out)

OP
txunamy

txunamy

Reaction score
magentatooth said:
:/ so I just move my amano and ghost shrimp between tanks with just a few media from another tank, I haven’t lost any and moved them three or so times.

So I think they can live without a biofilm and six month setup.

I would suggest though to reconsider a no lid tank (no experience of this directly but advised they can crawl out)
Glad you've had success with your transfers. Did you do a drip acclimation? My tank has a lid, so all good there. The nerite snails I have also will find their way out if I didn't have a lid. Sneaky little guys.

magentatooth

Reaction score
The first three moves I did them in a freezer bag for temperature, a few cupfulls over half an hour then release, the latest move I just netted them over (it was a Covid move so I had to move all my tanks asap in a day (I have four and 78 fish), couldn't save any water for any tanks, but everyone has survived (so far) even though they all had a 95-100% water change in a day.

New Threads