Aquaponics Setup Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by nedpatrick, Jan 12, 2019.

1. nedpatrick

nedpatrickWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hey everyone! So for my little brothers science fair project I’m setting up a relatively simple aquaponics system. I’m just gonna be using lettuce rafts in a 10 gallon quarantine aquarium. I’m going to keep a sponge filter in there as well because I don’t want to truly risk anything with ammonia/nitrite/nitrate buildup. The fish going in here will only be In here for around 3 weeks for a quarantine before they go into my 60 gallon tank. I’m currently trying to decide between using platies or swordtails for the tank both species will eventually end up in my 60 gallon. So any opinions? Swordtails will obviously have a higher bioload so I was considering using them but I also don’t want the bioload to be to to high. Thanks everyone!

Also any opinions on plants to put in? I’m currently thinking basil,butter lettuce, an aquatic plant grown emersed, and maybe a type of flowering plant. Opinions?

2. Fishy McGee

Fishy McGeeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +173
    Experience:
    4 years
    Peace lily helps to clean the water and grows well. The best fish that I’ve used for my aquaponics were comet goldfish, as in aquaponics the plants filter the water. The waste is what you depend on to help the plants grow, and the plants clean the water as the tank water flows through the growth media and plant bed.

3. Fishy McGee

Ratings:
    +173
    Experience:
    4 years
    Also, using a small pump rather than a sponge filter helped my plants grow better, even though most don’t like “murky” water with their fish.

4. OP
    OP
    nedpatrick

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yes but this is a small setup and I’m not using a plant bed instead plant roots will hang directly into the tank to allow direct contact with the water. I would do goldfish but I don’t have anywhere to put them after the get gigantic so that’s out. I’m not going to rely solely on just plant roots to filter just because I don’t want an ammonia spike.

5. Fishy McGee

Ratings:
    +173
    Experience:
    4 years
    Ok, then are you going to have floating plant cups? EDIT: I see it says lettuce rafts. I would suggest the platies as they produce a considerable amount of waste. However, even with a small setup the ammonia has a large chance of buildup.

6. OP
    OP
    nedpatrick

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yup that was the plan floating rafts using styrofoam. I’m not actually going to be growing the plants for eating or anything mostly will be grown for a project like I said above so if some of it fails then oh well.

7. Fishy McGee

Ratings:
    +173
    Experience:
    4 years
    Good luck! Make sure to carefully observe the ammonia. I found that peace lily cleans the water best, and that lettuce is obvious when it gets to much ammonia, as it starts to yellow.

8. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,494
    Experience:
    4 years
    Hm, personally I like platies because you can keep them at a lower temperature. Do you know if temperature has any impact on plant roots? Can the roots overheat? If they can, it may be better to go with platies.
    I think both are great choices and I don't see a good reason to disregard either.

9. OP
    OP
    nedpatrick

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thank you!! Hopefully I can find some peace lily somewhere near me!

I wouldn’t expect temperature to affect the roots too much but I wouldn’t keep them too high. I’m leaning towards platies for now but who knows if I end up seeing some amazing swordtails I might change my mind 23]

Become a Fishlore Member