Aquamaxx HoB producing no skimmate

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmer' started by Sedubius, Jul 20, 2015.

1. S

Sedubius Valued Member Member

Hello,

I have a 33g Fowlr with 40lbs of live rock. In the tank I have 1 Black clown, 1 purple firefish, 1 tiger pistol shrimp, 1 pink spotted goby, 1 chocolate chip star a cleaner and a peppermint shrimp. I have the Canadian equivalent of the Aquamaxx HoB 1 skimmer that is rated for up to 75g. The problem I am having is that it isnt producing any skimmate. I havent emptied the cup in 3 weeks and there is almost nothing in it. The water tests fine and doesnt smell bad but I am still concerned.

Should I worry? and what does it mean when my skimmer doesnt produce anything?

Thank you

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Hello :)
    Usually when a skimmer doesn't produce enough foam, it can be caused by a skimmer being too big. Now this doesn't mean that it's bad, just that the skimmer is too large for your aquarium. Another thing that could be it is that there is no organic waste to be pulled from the water. If you recently got the skimmer it could be that the skimmer is going through a break in period before any foam starts to form. This can take up to 4 weeks until you start to see a steady head of foam. In other words, if the skimmer is new, the skimmer will have to break in . Then it will start to produce the foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice