Aquaclears and self-priming

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by el337, Jul 29, 2015.

1. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

I have both the AC 50 and 70 and love them with just one flaw.... they don't self-prime. I read an old post from 5 years ago on this forum where a couple of people said they do if they raise the water level above where the intake tube connects to the other tube but others have said they tried this and it still failed to self-prime. I haven't tried it myself and I've just been filling up the filters with water with each WC.

These would be the perfect HOB if they did self-prime so why doesn't AC make them that way? Is there some technical reason I don't know of for why they don't? Afraid if I'm not home for a few days and there is a power outage... what then? Has anyone learned any new tricks on how to deal w/ it or any new info out there on this?

2. Gvilleguy

GvilleguyValued MemberMember

I ran the 70 for over a year and had no problems with it. (recently switched to a Marineland canister) But you are correct - once the suction is broken during a water cleaning you pretty much have to fill it up with a cup before it will run again. However, during a power outage, wouldn't the siphon and water level remain in place? I never tried powering off the filter and letting it sit without removing water from the tank. You could test it and see if it keeps it's water level.

3. OP
    OP
    el337

Yeah, I think I will test it out tonight. I thought about doing a test during the last WC where I fill up the tank and see what happens but was afraid that they were gonna burn out or something. lol

4. Jim

JimWell Known MemberMember

Aqueons self prime because the pump is in the water where as the ACs pump is outside the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    el337

Oh right, thanks. Still wish they could make them self-prime somehow! :)

6. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

Unless the water level drops and you lose the syphon you should not have to reprime the filter after a power outage. I unplug mine to feed fish and that's exactly the same thing as the power going off and it doesn't lose the syphon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    el337

Ok, thanks! And out of curiosity, is there a reason why you unplug when feeding fish?

8. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

I used to unplug my filters too. The reason is because when the filter on the food is blown around and some fish don't get a chance to eat. While when the filter is off, all the fish have a chance to eat :)

9. OP
    OP
    el337

That's a great idea. And also, I have prefilter sponges so sometimes the food gets stuck to them before getting to the fish. I'm copying you guys! lol

10. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

A Marineland will also lose prime if the water level drops. I just kept a plastic cup with my water changing equipment to refill them when I plugged them back in. It's really not a big deal in my opinion.

11. Jswin

JswinWell Known MemberMember

Also gets them to come to the top because they learn when the filters off its feeding time. Easier to inspect fish health when easily viewed without plants and decor covering them

12. OP
    OP
    el337

Yeah I was more concerned if no one was home for days and there is a power outage and the water level drops.

That's so true.. my neons are not too keen when it's feeding time even when I approach and turn the lights on. Then they barely realize there's food unless it floats down right in front of them. And then there isn't that much left bc those greedy little guppies gobble them all up before they get a chance to sink.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  13. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I don't like Aquaclears for that same reason! I have had 2 of them - the first one was spinning ( power outage ) and for hours it was trying to run dry. When I finally noticed it ( I was out most of the day ) the thing was red hot.
    The 2nd one in my QT tank did the same thing. I finally threw both of them out and just saved the media.
    I now run the AQUEON hob's and they DO self prime! MUCH better and have had these for 3 + years running great!

14. SrrmanNew MemberMember

The Aquaclears need to have the flow rate at max to re-start the siphon after powering off/on.

15. OP
    OP
    el337

I tried it at low flow and the AC70 self primed. The AC 50 didn't and I think it's bc the intake tube was connected higher than the water level. Will try lowering it and test again.

16. OP
    OP
    el337

Update:

Wasn't able to lower the intake tube on the 50 enough to meet the water level. If I raised the water level to meet the adjoining parts, it would be way too high.

I don't even know if this would even solve the issue but anyone know if they sell an extension on the intake stem? Didn't find anything on Amazon.

17. Et tuValued MemberMember

Amazon sells them. Usually if the water level drops lower than where the intake meets the impeller you'll loose the prime. It's just a simple physics at work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice