aquaclear110 VS emperor 400?? Question

1. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

(MTS possibly..) i want to set up a new tank, and im going to be getting the emperor 400,what my question is, is that when i get it should it be used on my main or stick with my aquaclear110(either way its gunna be on main for awhile to get colonized faster, or place some colonized material in it) i believe the aquaclear 110 is 500 gph and emperor 400 is only 400- yet its bio-filtration is superior? pros and cons of either could also be of help :)

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The bio filtration is not superior just because it has Biowheels. The Biowheels do work as biological media, but it's a marketing gimmick in the sense that the sponge and ceramic rings in the Aquaclear serve the same purpose.

As far as pros and cons, the Emperor is louder than the Aquaclear and uses proprietary cartridges. You can make your own cartridges, but IMO the Aquaclear is easier to customize. I've used both for years and can attest to the durability of either brand. The Aquaclear moves more water, but I believe the Emperor is now cheaper (didn't used to be that way). Ultimately either brand is a good choice, but if noise is a problem for you the I'd recommend another Aquaclear.

3. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

well, thanks for your personal review,a bit of a let down really, glad i asked before i payed.

4. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

I'd rate it like this in a vs. comparison.....

Mechanical filtration: In standard setup configuration for both, I'd give the edge to the Emperor. The AC's sponge simply doesn't filter finer particulate matter as well as a tightly woven mesh/floss cartridge will. Also, there is a bit of bypass with the AquaClear even when the media is clean. However, an easy solution is to simply add a pre-filter sponge to the intake and floss or blue bonded filter pad to the very bottom of the filter media basket. A bonus is that the pre-filter sponge will further improve biological filtration and protect the impeller from large pieces of debris.

Chemical filtration: Both can be customized somewhat ... but the AC will hold more of any particular chemical media and is more versatile in doing so.

Bio filtration: It's often said that biological filtration is the most important form of filtration. The AC is IMO, the best for biological in a HOB filter. The thick sponges will colonize with bacteria and can be re-used over and over again ... and then there's the biomax inserts. It's common for folks to add AquaClear media to other filters to boost bio filtration.

I use and thus would choose, the AquaClear. But the Emperor's are fine filters as well.