Aquaclear with broken impeller is noisy

Username12345
So I ordered a AquaClear 50 off Amazon. Well when I got it one of the blades on the Impeller had been broken off. I thought it would be fine so I put it together and it is making a terrible grinding like sound. I tried putting coconut oil on it to lubericate it but it didn't work. So what should I do? Should I order a new impeller or what?

DarkOne
Return it and get a replacement. The missing blade makes the impeller rattle (imbalanced) and possibly damaged your motor. Coconut oil isn't a good idea for lubrication. You should use pure silicone grease.

Username12345
Return it and get a replacement. The missing blade makes the impeller rattle (imbalanced) and possibly damaged your motor. Coconut oil isn't a good idea for lubrication. You should use pure silicone grease.

What if I broke the one opposite of that would that fix it?
Can you return things from amazon?

DarkOne
Amazon makes returns very easy. Just go into orders and start a return on the item. Then order a new one.

UnderwaterGalaxy
First contact the seller. If it's a third party seller on amazon, he/she just might have an extra impeller to ship. If the filter is sold directly by amazon, they will email you a return label.

Username12345
Amazon makes returns very easy. Just go into orders and start a return on the item. Then order a new one.

Well my sister made the order for me and she is in Massachusetts now. But I will try to figure it out. Also should I unplug it. Would getting a new impeller do the trick instead of going through returning it?

Username12345

If breaking the other impeller blade opposite of the broken one will stop the sound that is what I will dI as I don't want to go through the hassel of trying to get contact my sister, get the lable etc....

Username12345

And if breaking won't work can I kust buy a new impeller

DarkOne
Buying a new impeller would be my 2nd choice. Breaking fins just makes the filter weaker.

Maybe email Fluval/Hagen/Aquaclear to see if they'll send you one under warranty?

UnderwaterGalaxy
The blades are there for a reason. Contact amazon and they will handle it for you. Just package it and use their prepaid return label. Drop it off at UPS/USPS and you're done. Amazon will issue a refund as soon as they receive your package. Then simply purchase a replacement. You can try emailing fluval, but my guess is they will just tell you to contact amazon. Worth a try if you're not in a rush.

Dano83
Within the last 9 days I had to return 3 aqua clear filters to amazon because two had sand in them and small cracks and the last one didn't pump water at all. I gave up and bought it off of another site and it's working great.

Wraithen
These filters, are you guys buying new from Amazon? Or third party? I would be on the phone if I got a filter not in perfect condition and especially in used condition with sand in it. Those things are padded pretty well in the package.

DarkOne
I ordered an AC50 from Amazon a few months back and it had what seems to be sand but I think it was just the biomax dust. It was all over the filter housing. When I plugged it in, the motor didn't work. I had to push the impeller to get it to start working. It seems that's not uncommon and a few people have mentioned it. It did stop spinning for no reason once (maybe a week old?) but haven't had any issues since.

UnderwaterGalaxy
Looks like Hagen is dropping the ball on quality control.

DarkOne
I've read the ACs have been going down in quality in the last year or so. My AC50 has been fine since the first week flaws.

Dano83
These filters, are you guys buying new from Amazon? Or third party? I would be on the phone if I got a filter not in perfect condition and especially in used condition with sand in it. Those things are padded pretty well in the package.

The ones I bought was supposed to be new and they were sold and shipped by amazon.

I ordered an AC50 from Amazon a few months back and it had what seems to be sand but I think it was just the biomax dust. It was all over the filter housing. When I plugged it in, the motor didn't work. I had to push the impeller to get it to start working. It seems that's not uncommon and a few people have mentioned it. It did stop spinning for no reason once (maybe a week old?) but haven't had any issues since.

The three that I got off of amazon came with a separate box with the media in it and everything in the box was wrapped in plastic. I'm glad that you got yours working.

DarkOne
Mine was new and packaged separately from the media but there was still sand-like stuff in the housing (inside the plastic bag covering it). It seems like it was from the manufacturer and not from shipping.

After it stopped in a few days, I applied some silicone grease on the impeller.

Lunnietic
Amazon makes returns super easy. Explain to your sister what happened amd she might be willing to help you out. (That's what I would do). She can e-mail you the return label even. This happened to me at x-mas.

Wraithen
There may be a better brand copy out there as well to get instead. It sounds like a lot of bid out the factories they use and rotate them. Idk if this is the current case but I know heaters get this pass around technique.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views
CindyVBPets
  • Question
Replies
Views
emilymg