Aquaclear sponge question

AndyP

I just fired up my Aquaclear 70 after having it sit around for over a year unused, and I have a few questions:

1. How long does the sponge last?

I filled the filter with Poret™ foam and didn't use the Aquaclear sponge. So I am sitting here and squeezing the sponge and small flecks are sponge colored particles are covering my table. Are these sponges prone to deterioration over time? Or do you think the particles are just debris from inside the sponge breaking up as I massage it?

2. I have read numerous websites that say the foam is 20 ppi. But I have a 10 ppi and a 20 ppi piece of Poret™ foam and the 20 ppi is less dense than the Aquaclear foam. I think the Aquaclear sponge may be 25 ppi. It's less dense than the 30 ppi sponge I have, and I don't have a 25 ppi to compare it against.

MrBryan723

You could always rinse it in tapwater or soak it in vinegar for a bit. It might be gunk or the sponge could be deteriorating. Mine isn't exceptionally dense and it's been dried and set back up a few times in its life without ill effects.

Upvote 0

AndyP

You could always rinse it in tapwater or soak it in vinegar for a bit. It might be gunk or the sponge could be deteriorating. Mine isn't exceptionally dense and it's been dried and set back up a few times in its life without ill effects.
I'll try a vinegar soak and rinse and see what happens. I'm not seeing any deterioration on the surface of the foam, so it could just be debris inside the sponge.

Upvote 0

Islandvic

It is possible the older Aquaclear foam has dried out and starting to flake apart.

The ones in my Aquaclears are still good after 3 years, but they never have been let to dry out.

Also, i agree the Aquaclear foam may be around 22-25'ish ppi. Ive bought some 20ppi and 30ppi foam sheets off Amazon and when comparing it to the AC foam, the AC foam is slightly more dense than the 20 and the 30 is a lot more dense.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AndyP
  • Question
Replies
Views
AndyP
Replies
Views
JayH