AquaClear question

1. soccermatt Member Member

hi,
    i purchased an aquaclear 20 for my 12.5 gallon tank. On the intructions it advised changing the foam fliter every month, the carbon filter every two months and the bio filter every three months. I thought that replacing the bio filter would wipe out all of the bacteria. Should i just leave it in there?
    thanks

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

yes, you can just rinse it in discarded tank water. only replace it when it is totally falling apart.

3. Borisbbadd Guest

+1

Aqua Clear are very good filters !!!

4. DRock914 Member Member

In my house there are 3 aquaclear filters that go back to the late 80's and have not had the sponge or bacteria bag changed, only rinsed and the sponges are still no where near falling apart. I would not change anything if you get an AC.

5. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I agree with Drock except for carbon which needs to be changed at least monthly. If you prefer you dont have to use it at all. That is the best thing about the aquaclear filters, you can use any media you want to.

6. Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

I don't put carbon in my A/C filter...I never change the media just rinse it. I have had filters for over 10 yrs and the sponges never wore out.

7. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hijack but is it ok to put the carbon on top of the ceramic so it is easier to change. I plan on changing the carbon monthly and this way I could take it out of the top and not even shut the filter off to change it. Currently I have sponge on the bottom, carbon in the middle, and the ceramic rings on top.

8. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I believe it's best to have it on top so the water can flow through it evenly. Putting something on top of it might not let the water flow through properly. IMO

This link below has some interesting stuff.
    http://www.fishyou.com/filtration-biological.php

9. DRock914 Member Member

Oh yea sorry none of the filters use carbon. Thats why I forgot to mention that.

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. I agree to the fact that nothing in your aqua clear filter should be changed other than the carbon, once monthly. If your tank begins to smell foul before the month is up then change the carbon immediately. If you don't use carbon and your tank begins to smell foul, also add it immediately at least until the odor is gone. All of the other filter media should be rinsed in siphoned tank water only and never tap water.

I like having my carbon on top as well.
    Ken

11. Neji Member Member

You wont need to replace the sponge filter every month. I've had mine for about 6 months now and I've been keeping the charcoal bag inside the filter for as long as the filter sponge too! My tank waters are still very clear, and nothing bad is going on. My filter never gets a lot of gunk growing on the sides since I have live snails that have somehow gotten into my filter through the water coming out of the main filter compartment.

The only time you'll need to replace the charcoal bag is when your water is turning yellow or when your water isn't clear. Also, when your sponge filter is starting to break apart, that's when you change it :)

Good luck!