Aquaclear Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by bettaf1sh 7789, Jun 15, 2019.

1. bettaf1sh 7789

bettaf1sh 7789Valued MemberMember

I’m setting up a 10 gallon fowlr and wanna use an aquaclear 70 I’ve already got on hand. I think the flow might be a little too strong, but I’ve found an impeller from a topfin 10 that fits perfectly. Would this slow down the flow a little bit? I most want the aquaclear for the media chamber because I’ve already got a 425 gph powerhead for the tank.

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I have mixed and matched parts over the years and the smaller impeller should slow the flow.

3. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

If the blades are smaller or there are less of them then original then it should reduce flow .
    You should just fill the tank up with tap water and try out both of your ideas .
    425GPh power head is like 42 times turnover ….Might be a bit much ?
    What fish are you thinking for the 10 g ?
    Most that fit will not need that much current ...

4. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

Just a damsel. I also have a 240 gph but it has a small tear in the coating of the wire. I tested it out and it seems fine and doesn’t seem like it went all the way through, but I’m still hesitant to use it. I’m just using these ones because I’d prefer to use what I already have on hand for this tank.

5. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

The only concern I would have with the 70 would be the length of the intake pipe might be too long and be right next to the substrate.

6. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

It should be fine if you only put the one pipe on instead of both
    Also, little known trick is to use the smaller filters with the next size up impeller. This works on everything below the 110.

7. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

I had heard about that, never had my Fluval aka Aquaclear 50 modified because I upgraded fairly quickly (run a larger tank with a sump now), but had I stuck with it for longer I probably would've looked into mods for it.

8. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

Okay I’m a little confused. For a slower flow you take say an aquaclear 30 and place an impeller for the 50 in it? Or do I have this backwards. I used to use the 70 with no mods on my 40 breeder, but I’ve upgraded to a 100g reef w/ sump since then. Also an update on the powerheads, the 425 wasn’t working properly last night, so it looks like I’m going with the 240. The small tear doesn’t seem problematic and it’s been running all night mixing up some saltwater with no issues. I have the aquaclear 70 with a topfin 10 impeller (believe the top fin 10 does 90 gph or something around that). I’m also going to have the aquaclear on the lowest flow setting. What kinds of media should I use? I was gonna use probably some phosphate reducing media because I am using RO water on this tank, not RODI and maybe some carbon and a large sponge to remove any debris. Obviously replacing the sponge probably weekly to prevent nitrate spikes.

9. ForceTen

ForceTenValued MemberMember

If its a flat cord (should be), separate the two wires by cutting through the center at the tear. Pull them apart about 4 inches or so.
    Then you can tape up the single wire you are concerned about.
    Then tape both back together. Easy and safe. The best way is to replace the cord completely. But I have no idea as to how these connections are made inside the filter or if they are even accessible?

10. Wraithen

I was talking about increasing a smaller filters flow. If a smaller filter needed more flow, like if you got too slow of a filter. You can always baffle the outflow of a hob with a sponge and or cut up water bottle.

11. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

Oh okay, gotcha! Yeah I would use a smaller filter, but I don’t wanna give up the huge media chamber the aquaclear has.

12. Wraithen

You now have me wondering about changing impellers in the opposite direction. I'm pretty confident it would work, but not 25 bucks confident.

13. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

Yes it’s a flat cord. It seems like there is two coating on the wire. The top one (that has a tiny tear) and one below it that is much thicker. The coating on top is pretty thin and flexible, while the coating underneath seems pretty thick. I don’t think it’s effecting the safety of the pump, but if the tear gets any bigger, I’ll just trash it and buy a new one.

I could’ve sworn I read about it somewhere on a site that was explaining how to build a refugium out of an aquaclear, I could be mistaken though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
  14. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Yeah so the AC50 impeller fits in the AC70 motor chamber. It's the same motor I think, the AC70 impeller has 4 blades and larger, the AC50 only has 3 blades, so the smaller impeller should help slow flow. The only issue would be if it has enough power (force) to prime the water up the larger diameter intake tube.

Rethinking about it, I would build a filter baffle over swapping impellers.

15. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

Also while we’re on the topic of powerheads, I’m open to suggestions of cheap powerheads (preferably under $20 it doesn’t need to be very reliable for this tank) that are easily available at chain stores (petco, PetSmart, etc) or on amazon.

16. Wraithen

Aquatop and cobalt are my go to for cheap usually. I'm sure Amazon has some super cheap copies though, especially for powerheads.

17. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

Okay thanks. I’m gonna start with the powerhead I already have and if it causes issues, I’ll just replace it. I plan to run the tank for a few days before moving the fish in (I’m adding live rock from an already well established tank I have) so I’ll monitor everything and make sure it’s running well and then transfer him over.

18. ForceTen

As long as no copper wire is visible. Juts tape around the cord itself.
    But since we are working in and around water. Safety is of most concern. One reason I plan to put all my aquarium equipment on GFCI. I already have the GFCI receptacle, just been to lazy to install it.
    I once dropped my light into the water by accident while my hands and arm were submerged. Lets say I got real lucky that day. Could have been much worse than ruining the ballast in the florescent fixture.

19. Wraithen

Alternatively, you can buy gfci power strips

20. ForceTen

True. But I am a retired electrical contractor. I already have the GFCI. Got more stuff than I even know.
    Only need one. One can protect multiple receptacles. As many as needed.