Aquaclear Powerfilter 30 Wont Turn On

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Wille, Apr 25, 2019.

1. WilleNew MemberMember

I just bought the aquaclear powerfilter 30 for My aquarium. But it does not turn on, i have filled it with water to the top and plugged in. Is the motor faulty or something? Please help!!!

2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Croseo welcome to fishlore
    Take the impeller out just make sure theres nothing stopping it turning, similar filters here if you put your hand on them you can feel whsts like a hum if theres power going in

3. JenCWell Known MemberMember

In my experience Aquaclears are great filters (I have two) but they're sometimes tricky to understand and maintain in the beginning.

Is the motor running, do you hear any noise, is any water being pulled up into the intake tube?

4. WilleNew MemberMember

There is no noice or water movement at all

5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

take it all back apart including the impeller and the plastic cover above the impeller to be sure everything is seated correctly. you can even take the motor off and plug it in ( just for a couple seconds ) to be sure the impeller is spinning. make sure no packaging is stuck anywhere. if thats not the case then bring it back and get a new one

6. JenCWell Known MemberMember

That sometimes happens with my Aquaclears after I stop them. Try re-seating the impeller; that's always fixed it for me.

With it unplugged, pull up the plastic cover on the impeller chamber. Pull up the impeller. (I use tweezers.) Drop it back down. Replace the plastic cover. Refill the filter chambers with water. Plug back in. See what happens.

7. Karenk2New MemberMember

I have this problem a lot with mine. Just need to make sure the impeller is straight. You can check this while the filter is out of the tank, fill the filter with water and the intake is is in water as well. Plug the filter in and see if the impeller is moving correctly.

8. LajosValued MemberMember

What is the water level in your tank?

For a hang on filter to work, the water level in the tank need to be high enough for the impeller to be able to suck the water up to the filter.
    If the water level is too low in your tank, the impeller won't have enough power to suck the water up.

9. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@Wille , double check your outlet plug.

Filters do not have moving parts. Impeller spins freely on the impeller shaft and rotates due to the electromagnetic field created by the "motor" when plugged in.

Nothing directly turns the impeller.

As others have stated, something may be blocking the impeller.

Or the motor is not receiving electricity.