Aquaclear Power Filter 50: Enough aeration?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Irukan, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Irukan

Irukan Valued Member Member

One of my female swordtails died yesterday after a few weeks. Two others I bought from the same source also look like they're in trouble. One is rapidly wagging its whole body and periodically rubbing on plants. Both of them are breathing heavily and sitting on the bottom a lot.

I changed my water, but and here are the stats
    Before: pH 6.2, Ammonia 0.25, Nitrites 0, Nitrate 5.0ppm.

After: Ph 6.2, Ammonia 0.10, Nitrites 0, Nitrate 3.0ppm.

I keep thinking, if only I could give them more air, because they are panting. Should I get a stone filter?

2. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

If its aeration problems you could try lowering the water level a bit so the filter flow really hits the water when it flows out, agitation the surface more. It may be a little louder though but you can try that before getting an air stone.

Edit: what temperature do you keep you tank at? Higher temps=less oxygen, which means you'll need more surface agitation/an air stone for sure.

3. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Because of how they are acting I would definitely add an airline. Plus I would pick up QuickCure and begin dosing immediately after removing any inverts. With the activity you've described it sounds like they have gill flukes.

When gills are irritated fish will rub against hard surfaces in an attempt to remove the parasites that are causing the irritation. And if not treated it can quickly kill everything in the tank.

I would also lower the temperature. Your tank is a tad warm which helps the parasites grow even faster!

Good luck.

4. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

I agree that gill flukes are most likely the issue, however the trace ammonia could also be a contributing factor in their behavior. Is your tank fully cycled?

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, the gill flukes inhibit the gill function, so it stands to reason that they would look like they aren't getting enough oxygen...because they aren't. The added ammonia in he water doesn't help the situation either.

6. OP
    OP
    Irukan

Thanks. I lowered the water level and temperature (to 80F).

Is there a benefit to having an air stone?

Will it stress them out for me to do another water change? The stores will be closed tomorrow, but I can get QuickCure if needed on Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The ammonia is worse than the stress of the water change.

8. OP
    OP
    Irukan

Got it. Changing water tonight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice