Aquaclear Flow Rate Problem

AnglerTheStrangler
So I’m very disappointed in these Aquaclear filters. I’ve had numerous noise issues with them. The most recent being that when the flow control is on the lowest setting the filter makes a grinding type sound. When the flow rate is set to the highest setting it’s dead quiet. I have a Betta in this tank so I need the flow rate to be as little as possible or else I would just have it on high. I’ll take any help I can get, it’s very frustrating.

WTFish?
Check the impeller, maybe some debris in there?

bitseriously
Maybe when you push the intake u-tube over to the low flow postition, it's pushing down on the grey plate just above the impeller, and causing some contact? Do you use a prefilter on the cone shaped end of the intake tube? I had one that I found pushed the bottom of the tube (in the tank) away from the rear wall of the tank, and that caused the other end of the intake tube (in the filter) to push down and cause a noise like you're describing.
Also, how old is the filter? I've seen photos of older aquaclears where the impeller shaft (a part that's buried in the motor) is scored and worn and caused some knocking sounds.

AnglerTheStrangler
Maybe when you push the intake u-tube over to the low flow postition, it's pushing down on the grey plate just above the impeller, and causing some contact? Do you use a prefilter on the cone shaped end of the intake tube? I had one that I found pushed the bottom of the tube (in the tank) away from the rear wall of the tank, and that caused the other end of the intake tube (in the filter) to push down and cause a noise like you're describing.
Also, how old is the filter? I've seen photos of older aquaclears where the impeller shaft (a part that's buried in the motor) is scored and worn and caused some knocking sounds.

Yeah I actually do have a pre filter sponge in the cone shaped part. So is there a way to fix it so it’s not pushing down? The filter is about a year and a half old. Should I just replace the whole motor?

AnglerTheStrangler
Check the impeller, maybe some debris in there?

That would make sense but why would it get quiet when the flow rate is pushed all the way up? Wouldn’t it be noise regardless of the flow rate if it was from debris..?

WTFish?
That would make sense but why would it get quiet when the flow rate is pushed all the way up? Wouldn’t it be noise regardless of the flow rate if it was from debris..?
Well in my experience the faster flow (on high) makes a faster grinding motion which in turn just chops through that stuff with ease. On low it can’t go fast enough to cut through it as well. Does that make sense, sort of? Lol

AnglerTheStrangler
Well in my experience the faster flow (on high) makes a faster grinding motion which in turn just chops through that stuff with ease. On low it can’t go fast enough to cut through it as well. Does that make sense, sort of? Lol

I don’t think the impeller speeds up when the flow rate is set higher, just more water is let through.

AnglerTheStrangler

I just noticed that a lot of the noise is coming from the lid too. I need the lid though because I have a baffle taped to it. My Betta has a lot of delicate fin so the current has to be very light. Other wise I would just take the lid off. Any suggestions there?

WTFish?
I don’t think the impeller speeds up when the flow rate is set higher, just more water is let through.
Oh yes, not the impeller moving faster but the water pressure inside the housing is increased. I’m not sure though, just a thought.

WTFish?
I just noticed that a lot of the noise is coming from the lid too. I need the lid though because I have a baffle taped to it. My Betta has a lot of delicate fin so the current has to be very light. Other wise I would just take the lid off. Any suggestions there?
Like the lid is rattling? Is the filter level?

imba
Is the filter new? I set mine on lowest flow rate too and it rattled and was noisy. After it broke in for about 2 weeks, it was dead silent. I have two aquaclear 20s and had the same experience with both.

AnglerTheStrangler
Is the filter new? I set mine on lowest flow rate too and it rattled and was noisy. After it broke in for about 2 weeks, it was dead silent. I have two aquaclear 20s and had the same experience with both.

No their not new. They were quite for the first year or so and than they started getting less quite..

AnglerTheStrangler
Oh yes, not the impeller moving faster but the water pressure inside the housing is increased. I’m not sure though, just a thought.

Yeah probably has something to do with it.

Ravynn
Mine made terrible grinding noises on the lowest flow setting. The impeller was in perfect condition. I even got a new motor assembly sent out to me. 2 1/2 months later and it's dead quiet...

bitseriously
So is there a way to fix it so it’s not pushing down?
Trial and error. Run it on low speed without the prefilter. Try lifting the entire intake tube assembly a fraction of an inch above its cradle, see if that stops the noise. Try running it without the intake tube or the grey plate below it.
I suggest you do all this using a bucket or pot of water, now while set up on the tank.

The filter is about a year and a half old. Should I just replace the whole motor?
Well, disregarding the above, it seems like you have too much flow even when it’s working properly. So why not switch to a sponge filter, or an internal canister. I run a dual sponge filter and a Tetra Whisper
3I on my 10 gal betta tank, and it works well for us (me and the betta).

AnglerTheStrangler
Trial and error. Run it on low speed without the prefilter. Try lifting the entire intake tube assembly a fraction of an inch above its cradle, see if that stops the noise. Try running it without the intake tube or the grey plate below it.
I suggest you do all this using a bucket or pot of water, now while set up on the tank.

Well, disregarding the above, it seems like you have too much flow even when it’s working properly. So why not switch to a sponge filter, or an internal canister. I run a dual sponge filter and a Tetra Whisper

I would love to switch to a canister or a sponge but will switching effect my cycle at all? That’s the only thing I’m worried about. Is there a way to do it?

AnglerTheStrangler
Mine made terrible grinding noises on the lowest flow setting. The impeller was in perfect condition. I even got a new motor assembly sent out to me. 2 1/2 months later and it's dead quiet...

Yeah mine all ran quite for a very long time until recently..

AnglerTheStrangler

Do you think my Betta cares about me trying different things to the filter? He doesn’t seem to care but I always wonder like if the sound of the filter bothers them at all or if they don’t even notice it..

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
emilymg
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Misstubbytubtub
Replies