Aquaclear filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by luke4313, Aug 6, 2015.

1. luke4313Valued MemberMember

I have an aquaclear 50 filter and I use the right size filter pads the blue and white kind ...my problem is the media keeps floating to the top of the tray I don't know how to stop this it floats so much that it pushes my lid off...I would like to know how to stop this thanks

Sent from my XT1030 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Aquaclears don't come with filter pads. Out of the box they have a sponge, carbon, and bio max. If you have bought the filter pad yourself, hold it down with the bio max.

3. luke4313Valued MemberMember

I have the bio max on top of it it makes no difference

Sent from my XT1030 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Is it just the media or is the little basket holding the media floating to the top? I had a problem where my aqua clear basket would float up.

5. powwowValued MemberMember

I have three aquaclears. Each a different size and the sponges and carbons are all a tight fit. No floating to the top.

6. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Then I would take it out and replace it with filter floss. Or just leave it. If it's in the filter, it's not hurting anything.

Just using the sponge and bio max is fine too.

7. MrbValued MemberMember

I have two aquaclears myself and have had that happen to me a couple of times myself. It always happens when my sponge gets dirty. When that happens water can't flow through it quick enough causing it to raise up and lift the tray. Clean out your sponge next water change in your old tank water and replace any filter floss you might have added.

8. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Yep, when my sponge needs cleaning one side of the basket floats up and pops my lid up. If you're not using the kind of sponge that comes with the aquaclears you might not be getting enough flow through whatever you're using, don't really know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. ReyesValued MemberMember

That happened to me too with an AQ 20 (that lasted for 7 years) and, as Mrb and Bijou already said, it's because the sponges are too dirty for the water to flow through it.

I now have an AQ 50 in my 26g tank with another internal filter, do you only have the AQ in the tank? You might need some extra filtration. I actually regret not going for the AQ 70 when I first got the tank thinking that I would be too much...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice