Aquaclear Filter Stops After Water Change

1. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I have an Aqua Clear 50. The last two times I did a water change it wouldn't restart when I plugged it in (yes, I prime it). I googled it and figured out that I can take a Q-tip, stick it in there and it will go again. It's less than 5 months old.

Is there a way to clean it or do you have any other recommendations to avoid having to stick a Q-tip in there each time?

2. R

RyanLewis Member Member

Usually the motor twists right off and you can pull the whole impeller assembly out.

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Ack, same problem lol! It helps that when you do a WC, you keep the water line high enough above the intake "slits" so it can keep pumping water through, or get/make an intake extension so it always stay under the waterline. Or sometimes, I can get it going if I keep pouring tank water into the unit itself until it "spills" over and starts the suction.

(What i mostly do is just take a chopstick (after turning it on, it makes that whirring noise, make sure it does that) and if you lift the lid, move the intake to the right, you can see the propeller. I poke it to get the propeller going, you'll know its working when you get a bunch of glorious bubble, and move the intake back over so it starts suctioning. Probably similar to the Q-tip thing you're doing. I've had my filter for abour 5 years)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I have had this happen to, mostly when the AQ filter hasn't been plugged in for a long time. In this case, I take off the intake tube and you'll see a propeller inside (remember the filter can't be plugged in during this time). Get a long skinny object and use that to turn the propeller around a few times. Attach the intake tube back, plug it in and it should work (works everytime for me!) I have my AQ filter for more than 5 months and I've never cleaned it (only the media which I do weekly).

5. OP
    OP
    Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

@RyanLewis I haven't looked inside it yet, but if I take it apart is it pretty obvious how to get it back together? :)

@KinsKicks That sounds similar to what I am doing. Sometimes I avoid the bigger water changes but I don't think that's a good idea in my case (my pH bounces so I find doing twice per week water changes solves that issue, for whatever reason).

@aquatickeeper Well, I do my water changes with buckets and water my flowers, so it does take a little bit of time (but not more than probably half an hour). I am twirling the propeller and it does work but I was hoping for a more permanent solution. :) Did it work for you permanently or do you do it every time?

6. R

RyanLewis Member Member

Yep! Just slide the shaft back into the motor and you should be good to go :)

7. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I have to do it once maybe every 4-5 weeks.

8. Lascapa

Lascapa Member Member

Mine did the same thing last night. I will try the suggestions that wete given here. I I have an Aquaclear 20.